What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need info Re: will a 3.0 PCIe GPU card work in an older 2.0 PCIe motherboard???

GeezerGamer

Okay, bear with me here. Local to me I know there's a 1660 TI in stock. A cheaper 1660 super would need to be ordered. Now ultimately this card will not have a place in my new build as I want to be gaming at 1440 or 4K resolution! I do like the idea the 1660 maybe buying me sometime in the new build until I can get the ultimate next gen card that I want to settle on!

Keeping in mind everything that has been stated already I would just like it to be simple and clear for me. Other than a new 1660 GPU, I don't want to change my BIOS or any other Hardware in my current build....
Will this work? Will I see a notable Improvement?

Forgive me, as my username implys I'm getting up there in years so I'm not as bright as I once was......

Thx

Last edited:

Bond007

Okay, bear with me here. Local to me I know there's a 1660 TI in stock. A cheaper 1660 super would need to be ordered. Now ultimately this card will not have a place in my new built as I want to be gaming at 1440 or 4K resolution! I do like the idea the 1660 maybe buying me sometime in the new build until I can get the ultimate next gen card that I want to settle on!

Keeping in mind everything that has been stated already I would just like it to be simple and clear for me. Other than a new 1660 GPU, I don't want to change my BIOS or any other Hardware in my current build....
Will this work? Will I see a notable Improvement?

Forgive me, as my username implys I'm getting up there in years so I'm not as bright as I once was......

Thx

Yes it will work.

Yes you will see gains in all games.

The exact gains are what we can’t tell you. In cpu heavy games you may see 30/50/100/insert random number % gains. In non-cpu heavy games you could see a 300% improvement (the new gpu is about 3 times faster than the old).

Bond007

Bond007,
you were right, It does work!
It being the Asus Strix 1660 Ti Advanced edition GPU:)
It's been a long day and I'm still tinkering so I'll leave further comments for later.......

Cheers

Glad to hear it's running for you.

The 1660Ti will be perfectly fine at 1440p if you end up going that route (may have to turn a setting or so down if its a new AAA game). 4K is where the issues start, and nothing <$1000 will run games at 4k with tweaking graphics settings.

Keep in mind that with your current (new) setup, I can pretty much guarantee you that any issues in slowed frame rates/stuttering that you may experience are 100% a cpu limitation. If you are experiencing this, you can try to google settings that are cpu bound for the specific game.

Regardless you should see a notable gain in your gaming.

Enjoy, and let us know your results/impressions!

Lysrin

Congrats @GeezerGamer ! I was going to comment earlier but it would have only been "I agree with what Bond007 said"!

But I did want to say there are lots of us on here who are "getting up there in years". With age comes experience! ;)

GeezerGamer

When I have time I'll give a fuller assessment of my situation. I've been tweaking settings and I'm going to try some games other than Apex Legends.
Initial thoughts are positive but I can't see running Apex at max settings.....surprise right!
I reinstalled Farcry 4 and it ran at ultra settings @1080p super fine.
I must say I'm really pumped at the prospect of a new build!....RGB build....oh yeah:)

Thank you all for your responses!

Bond007

When I have time I'll give a fuller assessment of my situation. I've been tweaking settings and I'm going to try some games other than Apex Legends.
Initial thoughts are positive but I can't see running Apex at max settings.....surprise right!
I reinstalled Farcry 4 and it ran at ultra settings @1080p super fine.
I must say I'm really pumped at the prospect of a new build!....RGB build....oh yeah:)

Thank you all for your responses!

The gpu should hand apex legends maxed at 1080p. So I would start there and then turn down settings that are labeled as cpu affected first (usually games give you some idea of which are cpu dependant).

GeezerGamer

I just want to add a little more information to the picture. I purchased Borderlands 3 and I'm currently running it at badass setting 1080p locked at a solid with no hick ups 60fps! Not as CPU dependent as Apex.
Also downloaded Halo: The Master Chief Collection, it too runs max settings flawlessly.

😁

GeezerGamer

So I think I'm totally happy with the 1660 Ti now. Apex Legends was rarely a smooth running game for me with the 1660 Ti, even with settings basically turned right down. All the other games I've tried are super duper! Apex Legends was at times utilizing 80% and 90% percent or higher CPU usage!
Well that was before I turned Overwolf off. I just finished playing several matches of Apex Legends with Overwolf disabled and CPU usage is right down(50ish %)! Frame rates are easily over 100 plus and game is running well..!!

bananabanana

Latest posts