What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need Laptop for Network Engineer

Skippman

Hy guys, I'm about to start a new job working remote as a network engineer for a rural wireless carrier. Historically my equipment was provided by my employer (AT&T) but the new company is willing to give me a budget to purchase a laptop and two displays. To be honest, I haven't owned a personal laptop since single core AMD processors were all the rage as I've always preferred a gaming desktop for day to day use and a tablet (iPad Pro) for on the go use.

I'm wanting a laptop that has WiFi 6 (802.11AX), bluetooth for my headset, 32gb of RAM, a NVMe drive, at least 1920x1080 display, and a decent keyboard. I'd prefer one that has a Thunderbolt port as this will be primarily used as a desktop machine through a port replicator. The lighter, the better.

I've been looking at the LG gram 15” Ultra-Lightweight and the Lenovo - Legion Slim 7 15". I know the Lenovo doesn't have 32gb of RAM but at that price point I can definitely buy a couple sticks to throw in there. My only complaint with it is that it lacks the Thunderbolt port which a lot of port replicators/docking stations want.

Any recommendations? Any decent laptops in the $1500 price range that actually have ethernet ports? I'm not sure if I'll need it, but I'd rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. I'd hate to have to travel to a site and work on a switch and have no port. I suppose I could always get a USB-C NIC if needed.

sswilson

Staff member
Maybe referring to ethernet ports?

Not sure if any of the ultra-lites are going to have ethernet ports, but you could always pick up a USB 3.1 ethernet dongle to keep in your travel kit.

JD

Staff member
I would say the ThinkPad T15 should be on your list. I don't think the LG Gram or Legion Slim will hold up to the abuse. If you want slimmer/lighter in a ThinkPad though, you'd have to step down to a 14" screen and get something like a T14s.

Lenovo always has sales, so search around for coupon codes or "workplace" discounts. Not sure what it would be for the USA.

Izerous

Folding Team
Honestly for your purpose i'd take a closer look at the framework laptops... literally a DIY laptop and prices seem to actually be reasonable. Want more ram can find a better deal locally spec if without ram and run to your local store and buy the ram.

Something breaks they TELL you how to fix it iFixit style.

Edit: Also I think you can get full sized ethernet inserts instead of needing piles of dongles

Last edited: