What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need new monitor, old one is dying

muffler

Hello,

my current BenQ Xl2720z is slowly dying and will not turn on most of the time, goes into black screen with no response, have to unplug it and reset it.

I am looking for a new monitor in the $700 range. It has to be 27" at least, curved or not. yes i would like to be "one of you" but can't afford it yet ($1400 today).

i looked at some alienware but have no clue on what is good other then TN<IPS<VA. Would ike GSYNC and 4k but i might be out of my price range.

current specs:
CPU: 6600k on Z170 board
GPU: 1060OC 6GB
Waiting for next gen before upgrading.

Izerous

Folding Team
Honestly if you do want to move towards one of those nicer $1400 monitors and you have a plan to upgrade in the nearish future. I'd not grab a $700 monitor now that you intend to ditch for a computer that will struggle @4k with framerates, assuming for gaming since you specified gsync if it was for work that would be unnecessary.

I'd be more tempted to grab like a memex refurb or search kijiji for a temporary monitor that you can resell for almost what you pay for it. Do the upgrade and then get the monitor you actually want.

Mr. Friendly

Honestly if you do want to move towards one of those nicer $1400 monitors and you have a plan to upgrade in the nearish future. I'd not grab a $700 monitor now that you intend to ditch for a computer that will struggle @4k with framerates, assuming for gaming since you specified gsync if it was for work that would be unnecessary.

I'd be more tempted to grab like a memex refurb or search kijiji for a temporary monitor that you can resell for almost what you pay for it. Do the upgrade and then get the monitor you actually want.
x2!

sswilson

Staff member
I was going to comment that maybe you should be looking for a 1440p monitor which would better match your current vid card.

Soultribunal

Staff member
I'm going to 3rd that recommendation on going 1440p vs 4K only on account of your VC. I know even at 1080P games like TW:W2 can make my 1060 scream, and the 6700K as well. So game dependant go that route, unless you plan on going to a 2070 in the near future.

That being said, it might be worth opening up that monitor in the meantime (if you're feeling handy) to see if it has swollen caps on the power board or not. Might be fixable.

-ST

muffler

tks all for replies.

i was planning on upgrading in Sept/Oct, debate is Intel or AMD. not cost. i know this is monitor thread but any ideas? just need mobo,cpu,ram, rest is still good.

Soul, did not think to pop it open and look at caps. might be worth it.

might just grab a old 24" in the basement in the mean time and do that for a while and actually be "one of us" type in the near future.

and yes 1060 is screaming, full fans when playing some games.

Cptn Vortex

Sheesh that seems a great monitor for that price! Do you know if the freesync on that one will work with NVIDIA cards?
Yes, Freesync and it should work great on Nvidia cards. (sorry it's hooked up to my work laptop which only has basic intel IGP so never got around to test it).

Latest posts

Twitter