What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need recommendation coming from Z-5500

IITSChiefII

Hey guys, my Z-5500 kicked the bucket they lasted like 13 years so money well spent, anyone have any opinions or suggestions on a new speaker set, budget $400 or less, uses gaming/netflix "everything" I don't use headphones don't like em, thx!

Entz

JBL 305P Mark ii ( or 6 if you want bigger). hit way above their price point. Looking at around 440 a pair before rakuten etc.

Edifiers are good too.

+ I will be that guy. Good passive monitors and an amp (like a topping pa3)

Last edited:

Prickly007

High-end computer speakers don't really exist any more (as a distinct product category). Replacing my Klipsch 4.1s cost me a grand, for passive speakers and an amp. On the upside, they sound a LOT better.

How much do you value sound quality, IITSChiefII?

IITSChiefII

no it doesn't need to be 5.1, just solid stereo, I didnt have my 5.1 setup properly either, just used a simple desktop setup all speakers infront of me, but ya I was debating on a 2.0/2.1 setup or even one of those sound bars? they any good?

Attachments

• DSC_0102.JPG
    DSC_0102.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

Bond007

no it doesn't need to be 5.1, just solid stereo, I didnt have my 5.1 setup properly either, just used a simple desktop setup all speakers infront of me, but ya I was debating on a 2.0/2.1 setup or even one of those sound bars? they any good?

With how you had your speakers I think your best bang for buck is currently these as a 2.1 setup (currently $280):

While I would go with the above, if you can live without the punch of a subwoofer, then these are a great price and would require quite a but more $ to find better (currently $150):

Check reviews and look at other options, but I don’t believe there is much else at those sale price points.

As mentioned above, there isn’t a 5.1 computer speaker option really available now. And I do not recommend going to a sound bar for a computer (they have their place, but this is not it).

Last edited:

Bond007

With how you had your speakers I think your best bang for buck is currently these as a 2.1 setup (currently $280):

While I would go with the above, if you can live without the punch of a subwoofer, then these are a great price and would require quite a but more $ to find better (currently $150):

Check reviews and look at other options, but I don’t believe there is much else at those sale price points.

As mentioned above, there isn’t a 5.1 computer speaker option really available now. And I do not recommend going to a sound bar for a computer (they have their place, but this is not it).
For the sale price for the R1850DB it seems hard to beat imo.

Actually, an alternative I just thought of would be to go for the R1850DB @ $150, and then if you find them lacking in bass you could order a sub. The speakers should be slightly better than those included in the 2.1 set and the sub would be likely identical. This option also gets you black instead of wood grain (I prefer black).

Sub is currently $169 (not on sale), so total price would be $320+tax.