What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need recommendation coming from Z-5500

Entz

Damm I didn't realize that sale was as good as it was. 1850 are fantastic for that price.

Lysrin

Thankful I searched before posting :)

Working from home and having a little more playtime thanks to COVID accommodations, I am thinking of replacing my cheesy little Logitech 2.1 set with something that sounds better overall, but also better at lower volumes too. I don't want to blow the house down, I just want a nice even sound, without the thumping of a sub (think playing a game or music later a night without headphones). This deal on the R1850DBs straight from Edifier even beats Amazon prices.

Just checking, nothing has changed in your guys' recommendation since 25 Mar?

Bond007

This deal on the R1850DBs straight from Edifier even beats Amazon prices.

Just checking, nothing has changed in your guys' recommendation since 25 Mar?
I haven't seen anything close to this deal in a while. Like I said earlier in the thread, the only thing to consider is if you want a sub. Luckily these have a "sub out" should you chose to add one at a later date. There are definitely better speakers, but you will probably have to spend double or more to get it. The quality should smash budget computer speakers.

Last edited:

Lysrin

Thanks @Bond007 ! Went for it. As you said, for the price these seem to fit the bill. Speakers for my PC are important, but not so important that I want to spend tonnes of money on them. This will be a huge jump from the Logitech cheepies!

I tend to use headphones much more often these days, but I find having them on for work comms throughout the day and then for gaming or whatever in the evening too is making new dents in my head from the ear cups on my glasses! :) The Sennheisers I have are pretty darn comfy but after a while even they become too much.

Also bought a couple sets of the Edifier wireless ear buds. They were included in this sale so figured I'd give them a go.

Bond007

Thanks @Bond007 ! Went for it. As you said, for the price these seem to fit the bill. Speakers for my PC are important, but not so important that I want to spend tonnes of money on them. This will be a huge jump from the Logitech cheepies!

I tend to use headphones much more often these days, but I find having them on for work comms throughout the day and then for gaming or whatever in the evening too is making new dents in my head from the ear cups on my glasses! :) The Sennheisers I have are pretty darn comfy but after a while even they become too much.

Also bought a couple sets of the Edifier wireless ear buds. They were included in this sale so figured I'd give them a go.
I am curious if the earbuds are any good. Let us know your thoughts on the speakers and earbuds when you can.

Lysrin

I am curious if the earbuds are any good. Let us know your thoughts on the speakers and earbuds when you can.
Will do!

I bought two sets of TWS1 (daughter and me) and one TWS5 (wife). The latter my wife wanted to try for telecons etc working from home. Mine and my daughter's are just for casual stuff so went cheaper. I had another thread on here about wireless ear buds but never did make a move and I can't recall if Edifier was a recommended option from that thread. Wasn't meaning to disregard any advice you guys gave there! Just went with these because of the sale and ordering all from the one source.

Saying delivery in 3-5 business days. We'll see. That is certainly much faster if it happens than anything from Amazon.ca due to them accommodating COVID stuff; rightly so, I am not complaining.

EDIT: Checked my other thread and Edifier wasn't mentioned. But like I said, just right price at the right time.

Lysrin

Received and set up the Edifier gear. I'm impressed all around! Bear in mind I am not the audiophile that some of you are but I do know what I like. Generally I like crisp clean sound, medium level of bass, and the ability to discern instruments separately and other details.

The R1850DBs really impressed me! They put out sufficient bass for my taste, even at the middle setting on the knob, so there is a lot more there if you want it. And they are a very clear sounding speaker. They also play well loud and quiet, producing a nice clear, defined sound at low volumes, which was one of my goals. I think these are superstars for the regular price, but at that sale price? Excellent deal! Now I am going to want to game with speakers again instead of my headphones! That could be a problem lol The remote is a nice touch too.

The bluetooth earbuds sound respectable compared to anything else I own. Decently clear, not muddy sound that you can sometimes get with earbuds. Good fit and finish. Easy to use controls. No perceptible lag or delay between picture and sound watching videos from Netflix or YouTube on my phone. Also the mic quality is good. My wife is using hers (TWS5) for work and they are working well. No one complaining about sound quality, not being able to hear her, etc. To me they sound similar to the headset provided with my Pixel 3, albeit a little softer in overall volume. But not bad considering the mic is somewhere up in your ear!

So overall I am very pleased. Thanks again for helping me spend my money! ;)

EDIT: Just one more comment, these true wireless earbuds are crazy in terms of the tech. Little thing that fits in my ear and lasts for up to 8 hours at a time! I am now in the future!

Last edited:

supaflyx3

I use a pair of micca mb42x, a 100w desktop 2.1 amp from Amazon & a cheap home theatre sub. All in all its about $200-$250 and sounds great

Bond007

Received and set up the Edifier gear. I'm impressed all around! Bear in mind I am not the audiophile that some of you are but I do know what I like. Generally I like crisp clean sound, medium level of bass, and the ability to discern instruments separately and other details.

The R1850DBs really impressed me! They put out sufficient bass for my taste, even at the middle setting on the knob, so there is a lot more there if you want it. And they are a very clear sounding speaker. They also play well loud and quiet, producing a nice clear, defined sound at low volumes, which was one of my goals. I think these are superstars for the regular price, but at that sale price? Excellent deal! Now I am going to want to game with speakers again instead of my headphones! That could be a problem lol The remote is a nice touch too.
Glad to hear you are enjoying! Thanks for the follow up