What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need some advice

donkon

hello,
Been reading these forums and another one all day today but need some help.

Things i am looking to purchase:
swiftech MCP655
Swiftech Micro Res
Swiftech APOGEE GTZ CPU Water Block
No idea on rad

Now i am thinking of getting a new case because the current kandalf lcs is huge and very heavy (about 90lbs!!!!)

So can anyone tell me which of these cases would fit all and with some ease? (without cutting)
Also looking for an internal setup

Lian Li PC-P80 - expensive but i like the removable mobo plate
Cooler Master HAF 932 - more interested in this one

Also was thinking of getting this rad GT Xtreme 360, but every store i check in Canada its unavailable where can i find this in Canada?

thanks

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
320 rads of any make have been harder to find than hen's teeth all this year. Linus over at NCIX made some rumblings about trying to get stock, but you'd have to ask him what the status was.

Sorry to hear about your TT block leaking, those acrylic tops are notorious for cracking at the barb threads (I blame the extra pressure it takes to use their compression fittings), although since you aren't screaming too loudly it sounds like you didn't lose any kit to it. (My 1950pro wasn't so lucky).

For an absolutely seamless no-mod 320 install, don't forget to have a look at the Cosmos-S case. I've got a build log here.... http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/cases/5290-coolermaster-cosmos-s.html .

Welcome to Hardware Canucks!!!

enaberif

IMHO GTZ is low end CPU block. It is very easy to work with, but not as good performer as other popular blocks. For example , EK Supreme LT at same price point will give you extra couple degrees advantage.

Here is my worklog on HAF to give you some idea what it takes (hope it helps): DazMode • View topic - Watercooling build HAF932 i7 Step-by-step in pictures

All CPU blocks will be fine and really only give you a 1-2 degree in difference.

I'm using a old Apogee GT and it keeps my temps perfectly fine.

If you only have 1 GPU you could easily get away with a dual rad and not need a triple.

Tho it'll depend on what cpu you have.

MpG

IMHO GTZ is low end CPU block. It is very easy to work with, but not as good performer as other popular blocks. For example , EK Supreme LT at same price point will give you extra couple degrees advantage.
Eh, the GTZ is definitely a top-tier block right now. You can pick and choose your waterblock reviews, but I have yet to see conclusive proof of any block's definite superiority at the moment.

donkon

Hey guys, guess i'll give a bit more detail. I'm running a q6600 g0 at 3.4ghz. Got a geforce 8800, it is kinda big but dont think i should get blocks for it? or should i? I also really want to setup a t-line with one end going straight up (so that i do not have to open the case up to fill) to the top for easy filling and one at the bottom for draining, would this be hard to do, i saw a pic somewhere of this. Also which rad should i get since the 360 ones are impossible to find? btw thanks for the replies so far. Reading your guide too daz

oh btw, yeah i got very lucky with the non conductive feser fluid, everything was working fine

Last edited:

enaberif

Hey guys, guess i'll give a bit more detail. I'm running a q6600 g0 at 3.4ghz. Got a geforce 8800, it is kinda big but dont think i should get blocks for it? or should i? I also really want to setup a t-line with one end going straight up (so that i do not have to open the case up to fill) to the top for easy filling and one at the bottom for draining, would this be hard to do, i saw a pic somewhere of this. Also which rad should i get since the 360 ones are impossible to find? btw thanks for the replies so far. Reading your guide too daz

oh btw, yeah i got very lucky with the non conductive feser fluid, everything was working fine

With a q6600 and a 8800GT you can run something like a swiftech mcr220 with a couple of good fans and be ok.

T-Lines are ok but since your res has to generally be up high anyways its just easier to use the fill hole.

zlojack

If you've got room for a 360 rad, you might as well get one now. It will give you more headroom down the road.

Dazmode

With larger rad, you can have quieter setup by running fans slow, and opposite to that you can crank fans up for smaller radiator and get same temp for both... As I don't like turboprop setup, I recommend the biggest rad you can get.

Latest posts