What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need some help on Overclocking

ShinseiKen

Hey guys i just found out about this site just recently so yea im new here =D
Hopefully my questions will be answered here.

Im planning to buy an Asus P5N-E SLi mobo along with an intel e4300 cpu (yea im on a budget).

Im pretty much noob when it comes to overclocking so i could use a bit of help on it...specifically with the mobo mentioned above :help: (3.2ghz is good enough for me)

Any help would be appreciated

sswilson

Staff member

Supergrover

Hey guys i just found out about this site just recently so yea im new here =D
Hopefully my questions will be answered here.

Im planning to buy an Asus P5N-E SLi mobo along with an intel e4300 cpu (yea im on a budget).

Im pretty much noob when it comes to overclocking so i could use a bit of help on it...specifically with the mobo mentioned above :help: (3.2ghz is good enough for me)

Any help would be appreciated
Awesome Welcome to the site.:canadianwave:

What are the rest of the system specs going to be? RAM/GFX Card, blaa, blaa ,blaa
Here is another little read for you maybe
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/hardwarecanuck-reviews/976-core-2-duo-e4300-vs-e6400-performance-air-water-cooling.html

ShinseiKen

There are some good links to overclocking guides here.....

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/overclocking-tweaking-benchmarking/182-overclocking-guides.html

Have a look through them to prepare yourself for the leap over to the dark side :)

Once you get your rig up and running, please feel free to drop in with any questions you might have or to ask for pointers.

Oh.... BTW..... Welcome to HardwareCanucks!!!!!!

Thanks. I checked out some of the links but i was really hoping for a step by step instructions on overclocking on a p5ne mobo, just like the evga 680i guides that i saw.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Googled "P5N-E SLi overclocking guide"; first link is:

Legion Hardware

Overclocking is a learning process; every single motherboard has different settings and every motherboard/CPU/RAM/PSU combo will yield different results. In this case, the guide uses an E6400, while you have an E4300. Different FSBs will give different results.

By learning overclocking, one would understand that and apply this knowledge to have a stable overclock, instead of following a very simple guide of "Seriously Easy E6400 Overclocking Guide From 2.13GHZ to 3.5GHz in 3-Easy Steps!"

Pathetic. Sorry for the rant, it's not personal. But overclocking has become mainstream, where most computer owners want to overclock in a very fast, very easy manner.

Overclocking is easy, but having a stable overclock is pain-stakingly slow process, and may be very difficult to achieve.

John

Eldonko

Exactly, you learn the basics then you learn your system. We can answer all of your questions but its not as cut and dry that you can follow step by step instructions.

ShinseiKen

Sorry for my ignorance. Its just that when i was the evga 680i guide to overclocking i thought it would be a great thing to do. Unfortunately im planning to use a different mobo and i dont even know how to overclock in the first place so i thought this would be a good place to ask for help.

Btw, i heard something about a price drop on intel CPUs. Is this true?

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
First learn to understand what are the different terms, like the FSB and what does it do. Next is the relationship between FSB and RAM speed. Then add voltages and temps in the mix and you have an overclock!

Please don't take my reply personally. We're all here to help.

Let us know what you're looking at mobo-wise, read guides and how-tos on your side and we'll get you overclocking in no time.

BTW, the eVga 680i is a great mobo to oc with, since you can un-link the RAM from the FSB. I know, I have build 2 rigs and oc'ed both using the 680i.

John

Eldonko

Yeah there are supposed to be drops towards the end of the month, but who knows how long it will take to effect retail channel.

3oh6

Yeah there are supposed to be drops towards the end of the month, but who knows how long it will take to effect retail channel.
the good news is that the latest round of AMD cuts came early by a day or two at NCIX so hopefully we get lucky and that happens with the Intel side on the 22nd...fingers crossed because i need another CPU...like now.

Twitter