What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need some help , stuck at 2.77 on e6400

bushwickbill

I have been trying to get to my goal of 2.88 on air cooling with my setup as I can't upgrade for another month or so.:sad: So at 342*8 everything is good. My E6400 is at 50-55 at full load(cpu-burn in and running rthdribl1_2 together, it gets both cores at 100%), Kingston 2*1Gb Value DDR 533 MHZ running at 684 MHZ on 2.0 volts 4,4,4,12, SUS P5B MOBO, EVGA 8800GTS SC 320 MB core is at 663 MHZ Mem is at Stock, 600 watt coolermaster PSU,19 Inch Widescreen LCD. And my next increase of 345*8 it won't post. So I have a option of upping the Ram volts to 2.1 or 2.2 and try again. Is that not going to damage my Ram or will it just not post? I am still fairly new Overclocking and all, So if that is not my only option can someone help me. I know this ram that I have is already performing higher than expected, can it go more? And once your ram is overclocked and things start to get too hot will it just shutdown? Adding volts and extra heat worries me. I know my board doesn't let me lock my ram and then run the cpu at whatever I want. But isn't there dividers or something besides the 1:1 ratio CPU:DRAM. What about loosening the ram off 5,5,5,15?? I don't know how to do that part, so far it has been changing on its own. And when changing ram timings do they have to be specific sets of timings? I mean does it have to be 5,5,5,15 or is that as loose as it can go in order to sqeeze out some more mhz on the CPU Believe me the first chance I get I am buying some faster Ram:thumb: Thanx guys for your help.

magictorch

maybe the RAMs holding you back

Hi, im pretty new to OCing also but ive found that the RAM limits me. Have you tried the RAM at stock and then looked at how far you can push the CPU? im sure the pros will have some good advice.

sswilson

Staff member
You can try some looser timings, the auto settings on the P35-DQ6 often will take memory down to 5-7-7-X, but in all honesty I think you've reached the limits of your ram, and any benefits you might see from a higher clocked CPU would be negated from such loose timings on the memory.

bushwickbill

thanx, Still need help though

I was looking in the BIOS last night and I could not find where you could even change the RAM timings. Does anybody know where I can change them and at least try jack to my cpu speed up, then I'll test to see if it is worth the gain at the expense of the looser timings. Who knows this Ram is surprising me so far. And what about the too much volts idea, Could or can that have permanent damage to my ram if it gets too high, my next increase would bring it up too 2.1, what do you think?

bushwickbill

sswilson is right

:thumb:I managed to get up to 2.864Mhz at the expense of the loose timings,5,6,6,18 and a Ram volt increase to 2.1v. I did not see any improvement in scores 3dmark06 or Aquamark3D, So i backed of and settled with 2.752Mhz, I was able to tighten the timings back to 4,4,4,12 but had to keep the 2.1v on the ram. I was able to drop the v.core to 1.25v so less heat, mid 45's under load. Thanx for all the help everybody. Till next time. Great site, Tons of good stuff:biggrin:

sswilson

Staff member
Good to hear that you found what you were looking for.

You should be pretty happy with what that ram is giving you considering what it is. :)

Latest posts