What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need suggestions for hardware upgrades on my current PC

WantaPC

Hey guys,

I am looking for upgrades for my PC, but I am not sure which part to be upgraded. My PC specs is below. One thing I know for sure I want to change is the power supply since it starts to make funny noises.

Budget is $1000 CAD
This PC is for gaming :D

Thank you for helping

Cheers:punk:

Attachments

Last edited:

Bond007

What do you use your computer for? Obviously you CAN upgrade everything, but overall it isn't really lacking anything. Is it not performing a certain task well enough?

If primarily for gaming, I would do the power supply (since you want to), and the graphics card...that is all. Sell the 980 and get a 2060 Super (or 2070 if it is priced similarly...only marginally faster than the 2060 super) to go with your high refresh rate 1440p monitor.

WantaPC

What do you use your computer for? Obviously you CAN upgrade everything, but overall it isn't really lacking anything. Is it not performing a certain task well enough?

If primarily for gaming, I would do the power supply (since you want to), and the graphics card...that is all. Sell the 980 and get a 2060 Super (or 2070 if it is priced similarly...only marginally faster than the 2060 super) to go with your high refresh rate 1440p monitor.
Mostly gaming on this one. If I can add a bit more budget, do you think it will be worth it to go for 2080?

Thanks man

Bond007

Mostly gaming on this one. If I can add a bit more budget, do you think it will be worth it to go for 2080?

Thanks man
IMO no it isn't worth it. If you feel the need to go bigger you can get the 2070 super, but you are past the point of diminishing returns.

2070 super gets you an extra 20% ish performance for ~40% more $
2080 gets you 25% ish more performance for ~50% more $

At 1440p I don't think it is needed, but if you want more the option is there.

WantaPC

IMO no it isn't worth it. If you feel the need to go bigger you can get the 2070 super, but you are past the point of diminishing returns.

2070 super gets you an extra 20% ish performance for ~40% more $
2080 gets you 25% ish more performance for ~50% more $

At 1440p I don't think it is needed, but if you want more the option is there.
This is great man, thank you for the suggestions !

sswilson

Staff member
Bond007's suggestion is solid. A top end vid card + a good PSU is going to be pushing the $1000 budget once you factor in taxes, and will serve you well once you feel the need to upgrade your cpu/motherboard.

Cptn Vortex

Yup I agree with the RTX upgrade, but also since they are pretty cheap now, maybe get a 1TB SSD for your OS/Games and use those 250's for laptops or upgrading other older PC's?

Latest posts

Twitter