What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Need to buy a Digital cam!

Patriote

Awesomeness! Well, i'll go out in a shop such as Bestbuy or Future shop to see what they have there and at what price. I'll aim at either Canon or Nikon.

Thanks again guys!

Nightwings

I have to agree with the majority here. I had a Canon powershot A75 before. A photo-pro buddy was amazed at the quality of the camera. He didn't think it was possible in a P+S.

Now I've got a Rebel XTi with 70-300 IS USM EFS, 28-105 IS USM EFS, and the speedlite 430ex. I got an excellent combo deal from a store in Ottawa. I don't do a lot of printing but I do stream from my xbox 360 to my 62" HDTV and with this camera the pics on the screen look amazing. Also I like having full control of my camera when I want it. Fully auto tends to tick me off. Restricts my creative side.

Definitely look at Canon or Nikon first, they are the top dogs in the digital photo world.

Last edited:

mo' power

Charlie, maybe you can answer a question for me. I heard somewhere there is a nikon digital SLR out there (probably an older model) that is compatible with my current nikon FG lenses. I've looked around some forums but can't find the thread. I have manual focus F mount AIS lenses with TTL metering. I understand that the metering might not work with digital and I never liked autofocus anyway. It would sure be a nice way to get into the digital world. Any links, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Jmac

don't know much about this model in particular. since i bought mine last year i've stopped researching them.
i went with the Olympus SP-500 UZ 6.0. pretty much the same form factor as the one your looking at. good and solid camera. form and size was a deciding factor for me , among the myriad of tech specs. i found all the other dc's felt too small or fragile in my hands. i wanted something i could wrap my hands around and not have to hold it by my fingure tips.
Patioe, you're in Mtl, just head over to any DuMoulin Electro. if the don't have that particular model, you'll at least be able to handle one and try it out in the store without that pesky security cable attached to it.
and yes you can get a larger mem card. min's 1Gb. i would just recommend that you make sure it's not "proprietary" like Sony sticks.

6 Megapixel Digital Camera : 10x Optical Zoom Digital Camera : Ultra Zoom Digital Camera
Umm, both Fuji and Olympus use the proprietary xD memory which is far less supported and far less available than Memory Stick Pro Duo ...

Unklmo

Umm, both Fuji and Olympus use the proprietary xD memory which is far less supported and far less available than Memory Stick Pro Duo ...

:doh: HOLY CRAP!!!! i never even realized that :doh:
when i got my digi, i bought it as a bundled package with a 1Gb xD. i just assumed because it was an Olynpus, they that they would of course include an "Olympus" stamped mem card. didn't realize it could be proprietary.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Charlie, maybe you can answer a question for me. I heard somewhere there is a nikon digital SLR out there (probably an older model) that is compatible with my current nikon FG lenses. I've looked around some forums but can't find the thread. I have manual focus F mount AIS lenses with TTL metering. I understand that the metering might not work with digital and I never liked autofocus anyway. It would sure be a nice way to get into the digital world. Any links, comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi,

I don't know about FG lenses, but I do know about FG bodies. F mount is used since 1959. Your lenses will fit any Digital Nikon body, but with some incompatibilities. This chart tells all.

Nikon SLR Camera & Lens Compatibility Chart

Your best choice is probably the D200, where your lenses will only in A (Aperture Priority) or M (Manual) modes. P (Program) or S (Shutter priority) exposure modes will not function.

Here's the link to the forum: Discussion Forums @ Nikonians

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to fire away!:thumb:

John

mo' power

I should have been more specific, Charlie. I am using a Nikon FG and all my lenses are AIS F- mount. This is exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks! :thumb: You rock!:punk:

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
No problem; that forum is not very usewr-friendly, when searching for a particular information. But it's a very good resource.

John

Il Duce

just get a Canon A series. Affordable and decent noise reduction.

Jmac

2 month old thread, dude ... I'm sure he's already made his purchase by now ...

But I agree that the Canon A-series is a good choice ...

Latest posts