What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

need to control cat's shedding habits

tzetsin

Hi guys, i need some advice. my cat is driving me insane with all the fur. my poor computers have to get cleaned out at least once a month or they'll be goin poot.

Short of shaving the little critter, whats the best way to get mass amounts of loose hair off a cat in the shortest amount of time.

i've checked google, but all the products that come up look about as usefull as the one i've already got, wich isnt all that usefull btw.

Perineum

Comb them everynight while watching tv. They love it. They get all sadistic and bite you lovingly if you get just the rigggggght spot. :thumb:

I swear I take off half my cat's body weight in fur a night...

JD

Staff member
Yeah other than combing it religiously every day, I don't really see any other options. You could alternatively get a different breed of cat that doesn't shed as much but I'm guessing that's not possible.

Could also try bathing them weekly too if it'll let you.

tzetsin

I do bathe her at least once a month (she doesnt go outside) but even then its twice as bad after a bath lol. I need a good brush to comb her. what do you suggest? the ones i've seen around town have very wide spred... whatever those are called. I cant find one with finer... fingers? heh you know what i mean...

Arinoth

Staff member
Perhaps getting one of those air filters would pull out some of the cat hair/allergens and any other crap that's flying around to give you overall less dust in the house/near the computer and better breathing conditions for your lungs

tzetsin

Better cat food, the stronger the coat of fur the less your cat will shed.

does that actually help? i bought the food i feed her at the local UFA. so like farm cat feed. she doesnt crap as much as she used to on the other stuff i was feeding her, but she does seem to shed alot now, when i dont remember her shedding so much before. she isnt very old though, so that could be coincidence. Her fur seems to come off really easy when i grab a pinch an tug a bit.

KeepSix

Funny, I just came from the animal shelter, after dropping off four strays (I'm a bldg. super). Popped in here, and - wow.

Anyhoo, the most important factor is nutrition. If the cat's diet is lacking in protein, the fur is the first to suffer. It's the least essential 'system' in their bodies, so the protein goes there last.

It may be a seasonal thing- they shed most in Spring.

Brushing and bathing helps considerably. Make sure you get the right brush. There are different ones for long & short haired cats.

Latest posts