What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

need / want an 8" gaming laptop? take a look at this...

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Would still prefer to the Ryzen one, hands down.

I've got a GPD pocket 1 and it's a fantastic little portable lappy for fixing friend problems and for testing Kijiji purchases. It has its share of little problems - I had to mod mine very mildly to improve thermals and get the fan to spin less often - but with a bit more time they could be a serious leader in the micro-laptop category.

Admittedly, it's a bit of a niche market, but with Ryzen I think it would break through a become far more popular. Ryzen is an embedded powerhouse that puts all of Intel's similar offerings for embedded gaming/graphics to shame. So maybe in a couple of years I'll be looking for a used Ryzen one on Kijiji haha.

If you've ever wanted a truly portable full windows experience, it's worth giving GPD products a looksee. (y)

FreeKnight

Yuck. 8" is too small. In a handheld like a PSP or Switch I could live with it (or a tablet for example), but even a Surface which has a 12" screen feels too small for gaming. This is like the worst of both worlds; too small for a laptop screen, but too big and not designed to be hand held.

Mr. Friendly

Yuck. 8" is too small. In a handheld like a PSP or Switch I could live with it (or a tablet for example), but even a Surface which has a 12" screen feels too small for gaming. This is like the worst of both worlds; too small for a laptop screen, but too big and not designed to be hand held.
it's a niche market...obviously you're not part of that niche, while CM, apparently is, LoL!

JD

Staff member
Yeah I guess it's really just the "netbook" market from a while back as that's really all these are. It's just that the hardware has finally caught up where you can have a decent CPU and high resolution touchscreen, compared to the slow Atom's and 1024x600 screens from before.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Yeah I guess it's really just the "netbook" market from a while back as that's really all these are. It's just that the hardware has finally caught up where you can have a decent CPU and high resolution touchscreen, compared to the slow Atom's and 1024x600 screens from before.
Yep. Mine's the very oldest model but it's still a true quad core @ 2.5ghz. Way faster than any netbook I ever used. Besides which, the newer models are world's faster, m-series intel are a good upgrade, but I really think this niche market will group out of niche status with a good 15w or less Ryzen cpu. Will be waiting eagerly for those to come out and see how they perform.