What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Nehalem- New Intel CPU (X58 chipset)

matsta31

There was a review of the TRUE on a i7 and it is the same Heatsink, only a different bracket. I was surprised so I asked the question on NCIX.com and I got the confirmation that it will be a bracket adjustment and not a whole heatsink for the TRUE. And they seemed to implie that it will be the same fot the majority of the heatsink out there. Now, maybe someone will get new better suited heat sink out there that give a better performance, but it seems you'll be able to use some of the current one with a simple new bracket.

I'll try to find the thread...

MpG

Yeah, it's hard to know how to take those Chinese web site leaks, but if they're legit, there seems to be a mild improvement in single-core performance as well. Hope so.

encorp

The chips really arn't really too much bigger, they are only slightly longer in one direction; it was the clearance space around the chip that grew beyond current cpu brackets, I was actually looking at my TRUE and wondering if I could make my own bracket the other day haha, guess I won't have to now!

miggs78

The more X58 boards and processors look tempting, the more I run away from them, I might be one of those few who can't afford to buy it..

Unless it is more affordable, so far I've seen most X58 boards are priced over $350 and processors are way too expensive too. I rather just buy myself a good Quad, a good overclocking lga775 board, 2 4870's (not a huge fan of too big screens), maybe even a DDR3 memory board, some nice DDR3 memory, and I'm set.

But that Rampage II Extreme, the board has been really looked at and they have really changed the layout, like bringing their on/off, overclocking buttons on a different spot right under the ATX 24pin, kind of surprised to see no heatpipe cooling.

S_G

Interesting... Maybe I could reuse my precious Scythe Ninja rev.A. All I will probably need to do is get 2 small slices of metal to attach to the board, and then attach my heatsink clips into that metal. I'm just not too keen on the idea of not having the proper size heatspreader for my heatsink.

Latest posts