What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Nehalem- New Intel CPU (X58 chipset)

Dashock

Well im not going to upgrade till the beginning of next year figuring that is when the Intel Nehalem chips were supposed to be out i hope Amd comes out with sum kind of Ace ive always stuck with Amd but right now i cant see the light under the tunnel.

MacJunky

Pick yourself up off the ground, the light is supposed to be at the end of the tunnel, not under it.
Even though I am an Intel user I think I should still tell you to be patient. Something good will happen, it just needs time.

Last edited:

Dashock

lol i know Mac i wish we were still in the glory days of Amd kicking ass those were the days feels like an old man wishing for the glory days to come back. The Ati department have been doing a dam fine job.

b1lk1

AMD will never be back on top. Intel is far to big and not nearly as retarded as Nvidia has been. Nvidia took the "faster no matter the consequences" approach and AMD/ATI is killing them in the mid-range by giving us some seriously nasty and affordable mid-range cards over Nvidia's over-priced competition. But, Intel offers some serious mid-range horsepower for a cheap price and that is where AMD needs to stay focused. They cannot compete with Intel in the high end. Their "new" architecture was not nearly enough. There is nothing wrong with a good AMD system since they are still quite powerful for 90%+ of the world. You don't need an Intel Quad running 4GHz for anything when it comes down to it. Any way you look at it, until AMD has a MAJOR cash influction or somehow doubles in size, they will be #2 for the foreseable future. Looking at ATI, the #2 spot really is not all that bad when you are poised to outsell #1 now is it?

magictorch

Another interesting point in favor of AMD/ATI is that GPUS are being adopted for an ever increasing range of functions taking some of the emphasis off the cpu. As long as AMD can pump out cpus that can keep up with their excellent GPUS they can still hit Intel where it hurts.

Yea sock it to em AMD:canadianwave:

b1lk1

I really feel that if AMD and ATI continue to focus on the mainstream and mid level areas they are going to take a significant portion of that money. Enthusiasts are not the people spending the most money. Considering that I believe the enthusiast market is only like 5-10% of the total market, it is easy to see why the mainstream buyers need to be wooed the most. ATI has done it in a very big way with their current releases. AMD just needs to concentrate on getting their platforms right. Right now, there are some major glaring flaws with many AMD motherboards. From poor design to poor implementation, AMD takes some body shots. AMD needs to make their board partners start building some real motherboards. Intel has made sure their reference designs and specs have been implemented well but this is where AMD continues to fall short. Phenom is not that big of a failure compared to the failure of motherboard builders properly building boards for them. AMD is deadset on buidling an entire platform and to that end they are doing a great job. They should not worry about Intel in the short term. They should just keep chugging along. I don't see them ever being pushed out of the market, Intel does not seem to be trying to push them out unlike Nvidia whose backwards approach is really biting them in the arse right now.

Any way you look at it, we consumers are the ones really winning right now with the crazy low prices. 2 years ago it took $2K+ to build even an entry level gaming PC. Now that can be done for much less than half that.

Frost

I can't help but feel that Nehalem is quite over-hyped. It will not be offering any monsterous gains over current Quads and there will be little software to take advantage of it as well. I plan on riding my current system into the sunset until it feels like a P1. About the only real changes I have planned is a next gen (not ANY current gen) video card.

Same boat here. I plan on riding my new rig for at least 5-6 years before cranking up the OC - I have the cooling for it anyways. Nehalem is good but not THAT good in its current proposed incarnation. I will probably skip right over the first 2 gens before I upgrade. In the mean time, I'm having fun with my X48.

Tazer-[X]

People thought that the new era of processors today is 'New and powerfull' Truth is, they suck **** and ***. Not that I would expect any one to really make the comparisons, but, remember the Alpha processors? Now THAT was power. THrowing AND executing 4 instructions per cycle, and on 1 CPU with only core to boot. Intel cant do it right. And the IBM Power processors, well they kinda smoke Intel also. I wish Intel would make ONE really good processor, like, I remember my first PC, it was a 486 DX-66 LoLz. Chicken LoLz. Now, I have witnessed like...hmmmm....5 or six socket changes? And for what? everyone thinks that scaling up cpu speed is where uts at, ITS NOT, its scaling OUT. Like server farms and what nots. Personally, they can keep their their new architecture, I wanna pay someone to solder like ummm, 4 PCI 2.0 lanes on a umm quad processor mobo from Tyan LoooL. And that have like 64 GB of ddr1 ram, 4 P4 processors, and like 4 really old school quadro FX vid cards LoL
Tazers ranting out:p

Ogdin

They definitely look interesting,i'll prob just coast through this year and the next on what i have though.We don't have much use for the cpu power available now until more mutlithreaded apps come along so i don't really see the need to jump at one of these right away.

Latest posts