What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Neices first Gaming Computer

Shadowarez

Hey everyone I'm planning a new build but this will be the first AMD system since my Athlon tbird and iv read there is a special sweet spot for memory speed and it changes every Gen of Zen.

I'm wondering are we at the end of am4 as in if I built this up with a 3700x will it be the last CPU in that socket?

Game's she wants to play will be the isle, ARK, Minecraft, Cyberpunk, and she's doing highschool stuff with paleontology. I always over build so I was just wanting to make sure she may get least 1 upgrade.

I'll put together a pc part picker list soon as get chance budget is bout $3,000 not Inc GPU or monitor.

JD

Staff member
I think AM4 still has another round of CPUs (4000 series) that will work but it seems a bit uncertain. I don't see them jumping to Zen 3 immediately though, I'm would think we'll see a Zen 2+ to refresh the desktop line with higher clocks and bring it to mobile/APU.

A 3600 might be a good starting point though, then she could move up to a 3900 down the road (doubling core/thread count).

gingerbee

JD hit the nail on the head. plus I have heard that zen 3 may still be on am4 socket. if the system is really just for gaming go with a 3600 which is cheaper then the X version and basically the same performance for gaming as the 3700/3800 with a OC

Edit rumor

Bond007

Agree with JD. Rumors seem to back one more round of CPU on AM4, before the swap to AM5/ddr5 (or whatever it ends up being called in probably 2021-2022). I agree that a 3600 is going to be the sweet spot (I don't believe there is any requirement for more than that). 3600mhz ram is the sweet spot for this gen of ryzen. Lower latency ram helps as well, but it costs a substantial amount (generally) to gain that small amount extra, so get the lowest latency reasonably priced 3600mhz ram you can (2x8gb minimum, if not 2x16gb to make it last for a long time without upgrade).

Shadowarez

Ok thanks guys was going to go with 3733 4x8gb but I'll stick with 3600mhz and get her 32gb 2x16 so can last a lil longer I'll look into 240 aios once new year hits see if there is any improvements.

Bond007

I will back step a little just to add clarification. Technically the best memory speed to run it as fast as possible while keeping the "infiniti fabric" running 1:1 speed. This can vary from cpu to cpu and mob to mob. 3733 is supposedly the book answer, but from what I have read it varies between 3600 and 4000ish. That being said, 3600mhz offers the majority of those gains without messing around with it and for a much better price (generally). If you want to try faster you can.

Soultribunal

Staff member
IMHO, I don't think the Memory speed differences will matter that much (between 3600 and 4000) unless you are going for some benchmarking scores.

-ST

Bond007

Ok what happens if I get 3733 will it be slower then 3600 In some games/applications.
3733 will be marginally faster for everything, as long as the Infiniti fabric speed stays at 1:1 with the ram.

But, as Soultribunal said, it will be small gains...hence why I recommended to hit the 98% solution easy button and grab 3600mhz. I recommend that speed for everyone going with Ryzen 3xxx, unless you are an overclocked, play with the pc constantly, benchmark type person.

gingerbee

Ya I am pretty sure both I and JD were talking about CPU series. I was talking about the 3600x/3600 compared to the 3700x/3800x CPU ram speed is fine there's very little difference now with zen2 CPU's. I mean I would get at least 3000mhz since there's no price difference.

but for a pure gaming rig, the 3600/3600x CPU is basically the same performance as the 3700x/3800x CPU

sorry thought it was clear we were talking about CPU's not ram speed well at least I was I guess I can't speak for JD.

my ram is 3600mhz and 3000mhz and I can tell you, you can only tell the difference in benchmarks in daily use I see no difference at all.

Last edited: