What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Netgear Orbi and a Netgear switch setup

Dwayne

So, I am thinking of replacing my Archer C7 and extender with a proper mesh set up. I am not a network guru, but I do have a solid understanding of what I am doing, I think. I can also read and follow directions fairly well, so I am not too worried about setting things up. Currently I have the C7 hooked up to my Shaw modem, and I have 2 wired ethernet connections connected to the C7. We have a 2 floor house, grade entry down with a floor above. I bought an Archer extender a while back, and while it has been okay, I am not 100% sure it hasn't caused some connectivity issues in that past.

All that said, I have been looking at the Orbi RBK23 set up at $384. This comes with 2 satellites, but I noticed that the router only has one wired LAN output. The RBK50 has 3 wired LAN ports, but only 1 satellite, and costs $487.

I need 2 wired ports downstairs at the modem/router, that is where my main computer is connected and my NAS is located. Would it be feasible to just add a netgear 4 port switch to the RBK23 and connect my main and my NAS through there? It would save me about $80 bucks. I'm thinking it should be doable.

Should I be looking at something else? I would like to keep it to a reasonable price. There are lots of different solutions out there, at varying price points. Some more complete than others, to be sure.

JD

Staff member
Plugging in a switch will work fine to give you more wired ports where you need them.

If you want to support a Canadian company, the Mercku Hive is roughly the same price and you get 4 mesh nodes. There was a rep on here too, but I have no experience with the products personally. I know Start.ca (IISP) is selling them now as well, so I would hope it's half-decent.

A lot of us here run Ubiquiti, but that's a bit more complicated to get all setup. Their AmpliFi line is more consumer friendly though and competes with these other mesh solutions.

Dwayne

I can't say that some of the Hive reviews are complimentary. But it has started me looking at the Asus routers again. Lots of stuff out there.

Mercku_Alex

Hey guys - Alex from Mercku here. Happy to understand a bit more about your situation and give some recommendations. Good internet in a time like this is critical. Happy to discuss more: [email protected] - I check that email and will see when something comes through

Latest posts

Twitter