What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Network equipment upgrades

Entz

USG-4-PRO will be replaced by the UDM-PRO, much like I think the USG is replaced by the UDM.
They really need something in between. Not everyone needs the all in one from a UDM and the UDM-PRO is kinda overkill (Harddrive slot, dual SFP+ for > 1gbit internet etc). For what it is its "cheap" though if it can actually do non-accelerated stuff at say 5gbit (IDS/DPI).

Sagath

Staff member
They really need something in between. Not everyone needs the all in one from a UDM and the UDM-PRO is kinda overkill (Harddrive slot, dual SFP+ for > 1gbit internet etc). For what it is its "cheap" though if it can actually do non-accelerated stuff at say 5gbit (IDS/DPI).
Assuming you're talking about the USG vs Pro, they're not killing off the USG as far as I'm aware, which is perfectly fine if you're not on a 500mbps+ pipe.

If you're talking about the UDM...yes, they do need a pure gateway that ISNT the pro. The USG doesnt fit my needs (gbit pipe), the UDM is overkill as I have nanoHD's, and the UDM-PRO is WAY too much for me.

Just give me a straight gateway that does gb plz.

Entz

Yeah I meant the UDM (vs the UDM Pro)

If you're talking about the UDM...yes, they do need a pure gateway that ISNT the pro. The USG doesnt fit my needs (gbit pipe), the UDM is overkill as I have nanoHD's, and the UDM-PRO is WAY too much for me.
Exactly!

Since its technically under early access and nobody is allowed to talk about it (lol) , here is all the public information you could ever want. Gotta love the FCC ;)

Even the manual. No block information though, I am curious if they actually put in a hardware switch this time. Its nice but also in the I don't really want to spend 400-500 USD on a firewall (guess on my part based on :censored:)

Last edited:

Prickly007

It would also be nice if their Canadian store actually had stock, most of the lower end items are sold out (and have been since I started researching this stuff). Perhaps not a surprise when, for example, the USG and USG-PRO-4 are priced almost at par.

JD

Staff member
I think the UDM Pro makes sense for a lot of us here with Gigabit internet speeds now and likely some security cameras (or the thought of having some). A bit cost prohibitive, however, we have consumer routers around $500CAD now too. That's what happens when your "router" is now a mini-server...

Some countries already have 5Gbps and 10Gbps connections available to their homes too. Bandwidth is only going to continue to increase, so you might as well have a powerful "router" to hopefully last you a while.

Entz

Ugh that’s disappointing. I don’t get why they bother with wired gigabit ethernet ports then.

why are block diagrams permanently confidential. 😒

Last edited:

Prickly007

Better be in waiting mode for the UDM in Canada. ETA 01/20.
Said post pushed me over the edge.... I just ordered a UDM, shipped to my US mailing address. I've received a confirmation email, so hopefully it goes through.

Edit: With luck, I won't need any more equipment. But, if wifi performance is too poor, I can always add an extra AP... or two.

Twitter