What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Network equipment upgrades

zoob

In most home settings the UDMP would still be overkill, and with the SFP+ LAN interface you can pretend it's just a (similarly priced) USG4-Pro but with better performance.
The "bonus" built-in switch could be dedicated to low bandwidth clients like smarthome hubs or IPMI/management interfaces and potentially allow you to size-down your access switch to a 16 or 24 port.

Sagath

Staff member
In most home settings the UDMP would still be overkill, and with the SFP+ LAN interface you can pretend it's just a (similarly priced) USG4-Pro but with better performance.
The "bonus" built-in switch could be dedicated to low bandwidth clients like smarthome hubs or IPMI/management interfaces and potentially allow you to size-down your access switch to a 16 or 24 port.
This is what I'll probably do. I've got an unifi 8 port POE already for my nanoHD's, and am debating adding cameras, so I can shuffle some things around, I guess.

I still think the pro is overkill in options for my needs, but its the only thing that supports my gb internet. Having a built in switch seems nice, but why dont they just sell a pure gateway?

JD

Staff member
Having a built in switch seems nice, but why dont they just sell a pure gateway?
UniFi looks to be headed towards all-in-one solutions that can be easily sold to SMB's, which aligns with most network vendors that have "cloud managed" products with a similar premise. They just refreshed their switches and now these UDM products are launching. Haven't seen any hints of strictly gateway devices.

Entz

Yeah next up is new Amplifi devices aka the Alien line. Which are most likely Wi-fi 6 (ax) updated versions of the current set. Nvidia TWIMTB Cyberpunk 2077 silver edition maybe :unsure:

Nothing new listed for Edge routers. I guess they technically have the infinity if you are allergic to money.

The thing I don't like about Edge is there is no integration with the Unifi controllers which is the nice part of all this. Going down that route with a separately managed device one might edge towards software and a DIY pfsense box.

Guess we shall see what the final Canadian price is for the UDM-PRO. Just disappointing you can't use it as a core switch, though there is plenty of time for revisions. I think they missed the mark, if your going for all in one, why not make ports 1-4 POE and do a 10g backplane with the LAN connection on the switch.

JD

Staff member
UNMS has been slowly developing for the Edge series but definitely not the same as the UniFi controller. I suppose they cater to totally different markets though, Edge branded products are more used by WISP's by the looks of it.

attonbitusira

I came here to suggest that the challenges, options, and nuances you are experiencing are very similar to operational and budget challenges faced every day by small businesses facing specific application requirements.

No need to reinvent the wheel.

At some point you accepted that you are the technical "stakeholder" in researching, providing, and supporting these "company services" (read: Plex / Roku performance). You need to take the next step and present a business case to the financial stakeholders in your household (read: you and your partner) to assess the hard and soft costs of which hardware you choose, how it will be implemented and supported, and for how long it will serve its purpose.

Many of us here love troubleshooting our home gear! We love testing and troubleshooting and contributing to an ever increasing home lab project. At some point, however, you might acquire dependents like a partner and kids... and you don't want to come home and "fix the wifi". Spend some time really considering how much effort over the year you actually want to exert ... and pay accordingly.

Prickly007

Interesting way to look at it, attonbitusira. :)

I could see myself in business... boss says we need some new company cars, I come back and say: Looks like we have no choice, but to by some Mclaren P1s. Good thing I was never interested in business.

In this case, I was simply told: "make the wifi suck less". Networking was never something I took much interest in, but, now having a post-internet constructed house and an awareness of the lack of privacy online these days, those days are over... for better, or worse.

attonbitusira

Lots of resources out there to help you out on security, privacy, networking, etc...

I don't change the oil on my vehicles.
I do have a vegetable garden.
I do run my own storage system and wifi.
I don't clean my own eaves-droughts.
I do shovel my own driveway.
I don't cut my own lawn.

Cost/benefit analysis plus hobbies, preferences, risks, detests drive these choices. If you feel overwhelmed or out of depth at this stage, it's only going to get worse :)

Latest posts

Twitter