What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

Network equipment upgrades

Prickly007

For the UDM (and any all-in-one type), probably on your main floor in the middle of the house would be the best spot for it, perhaps on a table/bookshelf/etc.

I don't disagree, but the internet panel/terminated Cat5e cables are no where near the middle of the house. The UDM is too much hardware just to be an AP for us. After another day of research, it is decision time:

Option 1:

Dream Machine. It would have to go in the closet as that's where all the Cat5e cables are terminated. If needed, I could add a UAP-AC-IW (w. PoE adapter) to bolster wifi coverage, on a room by room basis, while still having a place to plug devices into. Alternatives would be a Switch-8-60W/NanoHD combo in the Great Room, or even the new UAP-BeaconHD (as the house has copious amounts of electrical sockets).

A four port switch, at the internet panel, would work: Great room TV, Plex server & upstairs man-cave, with a spare port if I wanted to add an AP on the second level.

Option two:

I don't really want an Edge router as it won't tie into the unified management experience and, from what I gather, is less newbie friendly, i.e. use of command line. The USG isn't powerful enough to turn on QoS/IPS (bit confused here) with my internet connection (~330ish/16 Mbps), which leaves the rather pricey USG-4-PRO. Both products, it would seem, are due for a refresh "soon". The UDM is considerably more advanced hardware than either the USG or USG-4-PRO; or the Edgerouter 4 for that matter.

I could get an UniFi NanoHD, Switch-8-60W and a USG-4-PRO for approximately fifty percent more money, but that does not strike me as a very good value proposition. Moreover, fitting multiple pieces of equipment into the internet closet poses some issues, racked gear is NOT in the cards.

Is my take on this wrong? Option 1 would seem the obvious choice, or is there something I am not considering?

And, yes, I am over thinking this. Deal with it. :giggle:

JD

Staff member
USG-4-PRO will be replaced by the UDM-PRO, much like I think the USG is replaced by the UDM.

Even if you did something like this:
ER-X ($75) - this will be fine for 330/16 - just don't plan to use QoS/IPS/DPI.
US8-60W ($165) - use down in your "patch panel"
AC-LR ($145) or nanoHD ($225) - mounted in a more central spot in the house

You're still looking at almost $400. I'm not really sure what the UDM is going for up here, but just basing it on $299USD. I think you get a little more flexibility going with 3 separate things, but yes you lose some pretty graphs and stuff using EdgeRouter instead of USG/UDM. EdgeRouters still have a wizard to get you setup and I wouldn't rate them as any more difficult than a consumer router now.

I run an EdgeRouter 4, ES-16-XG and ES-24-Lite alongside a US-8-150W, AC-LR, nanoHD, AC-M, so I have a mix of things too :)

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
I use a USG4-Pro, which replaced a USG (still have it, actually). At time of purchase of the Pro, if the UDM would have been available it would have been my prime option.

It would have necessitated a complete revamp of my home network (due to the UDM access point) but that's part of the fun.

Prickly007

just don't plan to use QoS/IPS/DPI.

I was planning to make very limited use of QoS, to prioritise Plex/gaming traffic over torrents. It's doubtful I'll be able to able to max out the download rate very often (bigger issue when my internet speed was ~62/12), but maxing out the upload is still pretty easy and, in the past, one or the other, has caused issues with Plex buffering and, to a lesser degree, gaming. If Plex buffers once, I hear about it. :eek:

ER-4 seemed to be widely recommended over the ER-X, despite it's much stepper price.

I am not even sure the UDM is for sale in Canada yet, I'd try getting it shipped to my US mailing address.

You're still looking at almost $400.

Tell me about it; network equipment is not exactly that exciting. That's why I need those pretty graphs. :p In all seriousness, four or five over hundred dollars averaged out over x years makes it more palatable.

Edit: Another reason I am leaning towards the UDM is we haven't hung any artwork or anything yet, or even placed the furniture yet. Plus I am not sure I can mount an AP, remember how terminating cables went. :giggle:

zoob

If any of your “optimal placement” locations has two runs you could patch your internet to that spot and then patch the UDM back to the panel feeding a switch.

The UDM will be worth the wait over any of the currently available USG.

Imo Buy the switch and nanohd now, turn off wifi from your ISP modem and still use it as your router for now until the UDM has availability in Canada.

JD

Staff member
I was planning to make very limited use of QoS, to prioritise Plex/gaming traffic over torrents
Better off simply setting limits and/or scheduling in your torrent client IMO.
I am not even sure the UDM is for sale in Canada yet, I'd try getting it shipped to my US mailing address.
Yeah it's not listed on their store for Canada, and B&H lists it as preorder at a slightly inflated $349USD price too.

Prickly007

If any of your “optimal placement” locations has two runs....

Sadly, the builder only put one run per room, which is why I'm gravitating to UAP-AC-IWs (despite their supposedly worse performance compared to other APs).

Better off simply setting limits and/or scheduling in your torrent client IMO.

I've tried that over the years, but QoS is, I think, a better solution. I am on private trackers, so I need to seed to download. Buffer is life. :cool:The issue only really arises when a dip ship starts downloading a multiple seasons simultaneously, which hammers my upload for hours non stop. It happens so sporadicaly that limiting my upload rate in utorrent would rob me of too much seed credits.

JD

Staff member
It happens so sporadicaly that limiting my upload rate in utorrent would rob me of too much seed credits.
I used scheduling for many years, worked fine and I still kept my near-2.0 ratio. I'd just cap it during the hours in the evening when people would be watching things/using the Internet and then let it run uncapped while sleeping/at work.

The UDM is probably the first Ubiquiti product that would able to do QoS and such decently at the higher Internet speeds we have today. It's their first time using ARM processors in a router though and they had to design a totally new OS, so you might want to follow the beta firmwares for a bit while the kinks are worked out as they seem to be roughly weekly releases.

Latest posts