What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New AMD FX8370BE CPU//BIOS wont POST

Rikan S-087

Hello.
So I bought the AMD FX8370 CPU to replace my Phenom II 1100Tbe (I believe my 1100T is bottlenecking my R295x GPU). I swapped the chips (done it many times before) and the BIOS won't post.
My Motherboard is the Sabertooth 990FX v. 1.01. I looked at Asus support and apparently my motherboard's BIOS only supports up to the 8350 -_-. The last update for my board's BIOS is 1604 I believe and they have not come out with another as the board is from 2011...
My system runs fine when I reinstall my old CPU.

Is there ANY WAY to get the 8370 to work on my board? Or do I need a new motherboard?
If I do need a motherboard, I want an enthusiast MB. I was thinking:

ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 8 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Gaming Motherboard with 3-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support and UEFI BIOS - Newegg.ca as it supports faster RAM than the v. 2.0 of the Saber tooth: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX + SB950 8 x SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS - Newegg.ca

So I guess I'm asking:
1. Is there any way I can get the FX8370 to work on my original Sabertooth 990FX v.1.01?
2. If not, what is the best AMD MB and will it support the FX8370 CPU (Which i can now not return) ?

SKYMTL

HardwareCanuck Review Editor
Staff member
This is a really odd situation. As far as I know, there shouldn't be anything stopping this board from supporting the FX-8370. It is a 125W processor, much like the FX-8350 and features the Vishera architecture so there shouldn't be any major microcode differences.

The only thing that I can think of is that AMD's 125W rating on the FX-8370 is on the low side so ASUS is protecting their board against potential current spikes that may damage its PWM components.

Rather than grabbing another board, you could always look at grabbing an FX-8350 BE. I really don't support buying a new 990FX board at this point. It is a dead end platform that lacks present-generation features.

If you absolutely have to buy a board, I'd recommend you look at the MSI 970 Gaming: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/69124-msi-970-gaming-amd-am3-motherboard-review.html

Johan45

I agree with SKYMTL, it should work in that board without issue if the 8350 does. I'd verify you have the most current BIOS file available and do a CMOS clr before installing the 8370. I don't have the REV1 Sabo but I do have #2 and a CHVz. I have swapped back and forth from PII to FX and never had an issue with the boards. Would you have access to another FX in case that's needed for a code update?

Johan45

Just want to add a bit here. I recently acquired a new FX9370 in an odd trade and a CHVF from someone else which doesn't officially support it. The board has the latest BIOS file and the FX9370 worked in it without issue last night. Makes me wonder if there's something else wrong. Do you know if the CPU actually works

Twitter