What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New AMD Gaming Build

mattyfish11

Hi guys,

Firstly let me preface this by apologising as i'm absolutely clueless when it comes to PC gaming. I have always been a console player and honestly I don't have the greatest understanding when it comes to relevant PC specs and 'must haves' for gaming.

I am looking at spending around $2,500-$3,000 (Australian) for the PC build which excludes all the peripherals.

On top of that I'd want a solid mouse, keyboard, headset and throw a bit of money into a monitor. If I can get away with not spending $1,000 on a monitor I would like to. The problem here is there are so many brands for all these items and I do not have the slightest clue which are trustworthy companies that produce great products.

I hear people say 1080p, 1440, 4K and again... clueless as to what this is.

I want the best gaming experience possible and purchase things I ideally will be able to continue using for the next 2-3 years without needing to upgrade in that time frame .

I ultimately spend most of my time playing competitive FPS so I'm not sure if that has an effect over anything I put into my system. Every now and then I'll play a game such as The Witcher/Skyrim etc.

https://www.mwave.com.au/

From the above website (these people are close by so would be great to just go into the shop, however i'll google around to see if any parts suggested are noticeably cheaper elsewhere) would you be able to pick a list of items which you'd say would be the best possible FPS gaming PC on the price tag i've suggested.

I notice in a few different threads people utilise the website pcpartpicker - if it makes things easier you could use this with a budget of $1,500-$1,800 US dollars.

It would be greatly appreciated!!

Izerous

Folding Team
Hi guys,

...I have always been a console player...

I hear people say 1080p, 1440, 4K and again... clueless as to what this is.

I ultimately spend most of my time playing competitive FPS so I'm not sure if that has an effect over anything I put into my system. Every now and then I'll play a game such as The Witcher/Skyrim etc.

As a console player 1080p / 4K should still mean something to you. This is the resolution of your TV your console is hooked up to (1440p tvs don't really exist but they do as monitors). 720p is still common in really cheap <40in TVs. It is the number of pixels in the screen, more pixel take more effort to drive but look nicer. Wii i think capped out at 480p, PS3 was capable of 1080p although a lot of TVs were still 720p at the time, PS2 i think was 720p maxed out but been a while.

1080p = 1920 pixels wide × 1080 pixel tall.
4k technically is just 4000p but it isn't most are either 3840p/4096p if you want to get really technical about it. But in basic terms it is like having 4 1080p monitors shoved into a single display.

Anyways for competitive FPS play typically you will see people focus on higher refresh rates and less on resolution. 1440p @ 144hz over 4k @ 60Hz. You could have a super gaming computer capable of [email protected] (240 fps) but if your display is only capable to 60hz your end result will be a visible 60fps. I use my computer in part for gaming and part for work and I prefer the higher resolutions over the higher refresh rates so I don't chase the current trends and models with higher refresh rates but I thought a basic explanation might help.

clshades

Competitive FPS you'll need high refresh monitor, corded mouse, mechanical keyboard with n-rollover attributes.

1080p will always get higher fps and higher refresh rates but you give up high pixel 4k graphics. High refresh rate 4k monitors will eat up a huge portion of your budget too.

More fps and high refresh rate are huge for being competitive.

Nothing wrong with 1080p though. Assuming your video card will be Nvidia? That's a tough call as the new vid cards are about to drop and AMD may have something worth buying. If you can wait a couple months to build you won't regret it.

Now is not the time to buy a video card.

mattyfish11

Thanks for the replies guys, sorry for the delay in getting back.

So i'm definitely going to wait for the new cards to come out.

Was speaking to one of the gaming pc stores here and they said it's a 6-8 week wait time for them to build the pc for you, so figured I'll build it myself and just wait for the new cards.

Does anyone have any ideas what power is going to be drawn from the new cards? Or is all info about them up in the air at this point?

I added all the components i'm planning on getting and it estimated it to be right at 500W (that was with a 2080ti in place of a new card)

Just wondering whether I should bump up to a 750/850W power source just to be safe.

Also fans.. i've been watching a myriad of videos of people building pcs and they always comment about air intake and exhaust fans. This'll be a stupid question. Are there specific fans for both of these options? Or is it just a matter of which way you put the fan into the case? I'm looking at getting the Lian Li PC 011 case and would like to have the bottom fans bringing air up into the case, but i want the top fans to be drawing the air up and out.

I'm slowly going to buy piece by piece when I can find what I want cheap somewhere.

At the moment I've got a Ryzen 3900x as I found it for roughly $150 cheaper than normal.

And i've bought the below from MSI for a monitor:

https://www.msi.com/Monitor/Optix-MPG341CQR

I was leaning towards the MSI x570 Tomahawk for the motherboard.

Izerous

Folding Team
Until they are released any assumptions about TDP will be nothing but a random guess and then you still need to account for boost power etc. Look at how hgih the latest intel TDPs have climbed and they go above the TDP in boost states.

About fans there air basically 2 catergories, air flow and air pressure. Air pressure are meant to be mounted on radiators and heat sinks and air flow to be mounted on less restrictive "open air" areas. So if no rads then air flow style fans is what you would be after.

clshades

@mattyfish11 I recommend https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX80183 for the 3900x. It runs really well boosted with this cooler. Make the fans blow into the case not out if you do.

I'd go at least a 750 psu to cover all your bases.

Typically I only ever have 1 exhaust fan and everything else is blowing in. Creates positive pressure and what ever the exhaust fan can't handle it will blow out every other hole of the case. As long as the case has decent dust filters your case should stay relatively dust free. If you don't create positive pressure there's an opportunity for dust to form all over the place.

My 3900x is never over 40c running all cores flat out. Single core gaming it's never past 35c. Idle temp with the fans at 600rpm is 29c.

Last edited:

Izerous

Folding Team
The O11 rigs itself up well with the top being exhaust and everything else being intake for the positive pressure being mentioned.
A 2 fan AIO might be a bitweird to mount since everything is setup for triple fans

sswilson

Staff member
The O11 rigs itself up well with the top being exhaust and everything else being intake for the positive pressure being mentioned.
A 2 fan AIO might be a bitweird to mount since everything is setup for triple fans
It should mount fine, but as you stated will be a bit "strange" as there'll be a 120mm gap on either the top or bottom depending on how you install it. I did my custom loop with 2 240mm rads and it worked out well enough....

clshades

It should mount fine, but as you stated will be a bit "strange" as there'll be a 120mm gap on either the top or bottom depending on how you install it. I did my custom loop with 2 240mm rads and it worked out well enough....
Yep same. Just a 240mm on the top blowing in, even tho it will fit a triple. Not to concerned about the empty spot.

Latest posts

Twitter