What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New AMD Gaming Build

mattyfish11

@mattyfish11 I recommend https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX80183 for the 3900x. It runs really well boosted with this cooler. Make the fans blow into the case not out if you do.

I'd go at least a 750 psu to cover all your bases.

Typically I only ever have 1 exhaust fan and everything else is blowing in. Creates positive pressure and what ever the exhaust fan can't handle it will blow out every other hole of the case. As long as the case has decent dust filters your case should stay relatively dust free. If you don't create positive pressure there's an opportunity for dust to form all over the place.

My 3900x is never over 40c running all cores flat out. Single core gaming it's never past 35c. Idle temp with the fans at 600rpm is 29c.

Hey mate i'm thinking of getting the Lian Li OC 11 XL case - mainly as it's going to be the very first time building a computer I think i'll need the additional space rather than be crammed into a mid-tower with minimal margin for error with working the cables etc.

When you mention the exhaust fan - is this simply just the direction you screw the fan into the case?

At the moment i'm looking at getting 2x sets of the below fans from Corsair:

With 3x at the bottom below the GPU blowing air up into the case, with the other 3x at the top of the case blowing air down into the case.

With the Lian Li XL it does give me the option for a fan at the very back of the case next to the motherboard and I was envisioning a single 120 fan there blowing air out.

All of these fans and cabling though is giving me nightmares with cabling and where the wiring goes etc etc.

If I bought the Corsair Commander Pro on top of those fans, does that give me everything I need for functionality and getting them all up and running?

clshades

You got it mate. If it's a big case you may need a few fan wire extensions. Last time I used a 24" case I needed a few of them. Check to see how long the wires off the Corsair (fans) are.

Hopefully the case has filters where you plan to have intake fans.

I'll be honest with you though. I found it harder to wire a big case compared to my current Mid tower. I don't know much about the lian you're buying though. Really can't go wrong with a Lian

Last edited:

clshades

These guys liked it.

mattyfish11

Hey guys, beating a dead horse here but thought I'd check!

There is a special for the next two days which has the Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Strix Gaming 11G OC graphics card for $600 off at $2000AU.

Will that give me everything I need noting my already purchased set up below (there's been slight changes to what I've mentioned previously)

Ryzen 3900x
MSI x570 Tomahawk
G Skills 32GB 3600 ram
1TB M.2 SSD
4TB HDD
Lian Li Dynamic 011 XL case
6x Lian Li Bora Digital fans
Lian Li 360mm Galahad AIO
Corsair AX1000 80+ Titanium

With the MSI monitor I noted earlier in this thread, I assume i'll be playing at 1440p at 144hz.

I've heard the Asus card above is the best current gen graphics card, and as it's much cheaper than i've ever seen it before, I just wanted some experts thoughts on whether I should grab this and i'll have a complete gaming/potential streaming and editing PC that I won't need to touch for the next 3-5 years at least, or whether I should wait until the next gen graphics cards if they're going to add that much more than the Asus 2080ti Strix OC will.

EDIT: I'd like to add also, I know absolutely nothing about the next gen graphics cards. The supposed rumored performance, or rumored price, etc etc etc. So I really am in the dark about them completely unfortunately. I also don't know where is a reliable place to research about them.

Last edited:

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The short answer is: we don't know. Rumours is all there is, and while there is usually nuggets of truth in rumours, we don't know what or how much is true.

it's almost September though, with the release (which does NOT mean availability) in ~Oct...at worst I think it would be prudent to wait if you can.

Bond007

My advice is wait if you are going that high end. Grab a cheap used graphics card to hold you over, but atleast be able to start using what you have. Nvidia graphics cards have been using the same manufacturing node for a while, so I do expect some pretty large gains with a new manufacturing node, and a new architecture.

But to echo Sagath, we don’t know for sure...just rumours and opinions.