What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

new at networking.......

rob123

right now i have 3 computer and a printer hooked into a dlink 604 router then to the cable modem.

we will be adding at least one moe computer and probably an xbox 360 to this. obviously my problem is that the dl 604 only has 4 ports.

i have 2 dl 6o4 but have no clue as hoe i may use both.

i read on the web that a switch is better than a hub. so, do i get a switch which i can then hook into the router then to the modem?.

there are many switches on ebay for good prices. some new , some old , but generally i have had good experience on ebay.

its just that an 8 port router are usually retared prices.

thx for any help or suggestions

rob123

pscout

Fallen Folder
right now i have 3 computer and a printer hooked into a dlink 604 router then to the cable modem.

we will be adding at least one moe computer and probably an xbox 360 to this. obviously my problem is that the dl 604 only has 4 ports.

i have 2 dl 6o4 but have no clue as hoe i may use both.

i read on the web that a switch is better than a hub. so, do i get a switch which i can then hook into the router then to the modem?.

there are many switches on ebay for good prices. some new , some old , but generally i have had good experience on ebay.

its just that an 8 port router are usually retared prices.

thx for any help or suggestions

rob123

You should be able to configure your second router like a switch ... disable any uplink logon it may have setup and disable its dhcp function. You lose 1 port on each router connecting them together but you will still have 6 ports.

Just make sure there is no configuration setup to block connections but i doubt there is by default.

I have on old $5 smc 4 port router i use as a switch in the room i have my lan printer in so i can connect up another rig there occassionally without more cabling. I do the same in my son's room so he can have lan parties off his own switch.

enaberif

You should be able to configure your second router like a switch ... disable any uplink logon it may have setup and disable its dhcp function. You lose 1 port on each router connecting them together but you will still have 6 ports.

Just make sure there is no configuration setup to block connections but i doubt there is by default.

I have on old $5 smc 4 port router i use as a switch in the room i have my lan printer in so i can connect up another rig there occassionally without more cabling. I do the same in my son's room so he can have lan parties off his own switch.

1)Cable modem into "WAN" of router
2) PCs 1-3 into LAN 1-3
3) Put switch into LAN 4
4) Hook other machines to switch

sswilson

Staff member
My question would be if all routers support a pass-through switch on the fourth port.

I remember my first Linksys router actually had a name for the function, and I've looked for information on that with my Microsoft router to no avail.

I'd think that it would need to be set up for it, otherwise how would it know to hand out a range of IP addresses rather than just one?

enaberif

My question would be if all routers support a pass-through switch on the fourth port.

I remember my first Linksys router actually had a name for the function, and I've looked for information on that with my Microsoft router to no avail.

I'd think that it would need to be set up for it, otherwise how would it know to hand out a range of IP addresses rather than just one?

Well whether it be 1,2, 3 or 4 they will all hook up a switch and assign the proper ips.

sswilson

Staff member
I'll take your word for it. (Cascading was what they called it on the Linksys).

pscout

Fallen Folder
I am guessing that the switch function is mac layer protocol, while ip assignment is a tcp layer function ... support of cascading would allow the 2 functions to operate independently as long as no security rules are applied to block it in the router.

Latest posts