What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Build - AMD pci-e lanes questions

ipaine

So I am thinking about upgrading the core of my system to an AMD 3900x. But it lead me to thinking about pcie lanes and performance hits.

Motherboard: Either the Asus Strix X570-E or the Crosshair VIII Hero. (not really sure which, but the hero does have more usb which is a benefit)
CPU: Ryzen 3900X
PSU: Corsair HX1200i (already have it)
GPU: 1080ti with hybrid cooler x 2 (already have them in current rig)
Storage: Need at least 6 sata ports, and have a WD black 1tb nvme, want to add Seagate gen 4 1tb firecuda nvme.

The storage and gpu together is what I am wondering about with regards to the pcie lanes. Does the AM4 platform have enough pcie lanes for this setup to work without sacrificing performance?

GPU x2 = 8 lanes x2 so 16 lanes
nvme gen 4 = 4 lanes
nvme gen 3 = 4 lanes

total 24 lanes

Is this going to be an issue now? Or even more in the future if I move to a next gen gpu later in the year or next year? I'm not really thinking I can move to Threadripper just for the pcie lanes, but am I hurting storage performance or gpu performance the way it is? Also there will be 6 or 7 sata in use right away and an external usb-c drive.

Any thoughts about possible performance hits? Or other issues people can think about?

JD

Staff member
Chances are that will be using all the available lanes from the CPU & Chipset. If you add another NVMe, then you'll lose 2 SATA ports.

If you're continuing with SLI in the future, then I think running 8x will become a limitation too as GPUs seem to be requiring more bandwidth.

ipaine

That's the thing, I doubt I'll go sli again, but that means that the 3080ti or whatever has to be significantly more powerful to make it worth my while to go to from the two 1080ti.

I do have another question with regards to the build.

I'm going to be using my Fractal Design Define R6 and I am trying to decide if I should continue using my AIO (evga CLC 280) or go to a air cooler (dark rock pro maybe). The main reason I'm thinking of switching is because technically that 280 doesn't really fit well and things are already super tight with the current build and am worried they won't fit properly at all with the new build. Of course I will not know if this is the case until I put everything into the case.

The main catch is that currently I have the 120mm rads from my 1080tis pulling air in from the front, and the clc pulling air from the top with the back as the only exhaust. This works good, but I'm thinking it would be bad putting in an air cooler if it is going to be getting the warm air from the gpu rads. Or do people think it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

Of course I could just get a new 240mm rad that I know will fit. But is it just me or did the prices for them go up?

JD

Staff member
You should probably buy sooner rather than later if you want it "now" since I'd imagine with a lot of factories being shutdown in China, supply is going to be short and prices will go up.

For your CPU cooling, if you do go with air, you could still have intake from the top fans? That should help negate some of the hot air being dumped in from the GPUs.

ipaine

Hmmm true. As for sooner than later, I'm leaning towards possibly Monday so I have to make decisions soon.

ipaine

Well it is basically a birthday present and tax present. Picked up the Firecuda drive today, will be picking up other parts tomorrow or Monday. Then have Tuesday and Wednesday off work to build and test it. Still trying to decide the cooler situation though. I might just pick up the parts sans cooler and test the size in the case.

And yes, I am excited to get it and play a bit. Been a very long time since I've had any AMD system. It is going to be interesting and fun.

Shadowarez

Folding Team
I wanna build and so bad theee has been alot of tech since my old tbird cpu base was 1.5ghz I had it oced to 3.2ghz and it was physically eroding back then. Wanna see all the new features.

MARSTG

Externalize your storage : get yourself a 4 bay enclosure with raid capability or build your own NAS. That will solve many issues, probably building your own nas will give you more flexibility.

ipaine

Externalize your storage : get yourself a 4 bay enclosure with raid capability or build your own NAS. That will solve many issues, probably building your own nas will give you more flexibility.
I already have external storage for most storage needs. Internally my issue is more about it bottlenecking my NVME drives and/or gpus. Even if it does I'll just deal with it since I have all my parts now anyways.

So here are all the parts that I have bought either just recently or in the case of the PSU, a year ago, but all new.

20200321_230941.jpg

These will go together with my Fractal Design R6 (with new usb-c front panel) and my two EVGA 1080ti Hybrids. Now to put it all together.

Oh bonus points go towards anyone that can identify the movie in the background.

So I have decided how I am going to have my rads. The red arrows are the airflow direction. The front rads are from the GPU hybrids and will be staying that way. With the AIO, I was trying to decide two things. First do I take in "cold" air from outside the case, or the reverse and have it push warm air outside of the case. The there is the question of fan location and if I do a push or pull setup.

1584899194979.png

I settled on this for now as I think pulling the air in will keep the cpu cooler and helps keep all the intake air going through spots that have filters. As for having the fans as pulling over pushing, after looking at multiple videos and reading tests, the differences in performance are not enough to really justify either way, so having the fans this way is just an easier setup.

If I finally get off my ass and get some food I'll be doing the main build today. Will take some pics and get them up later ideally.