What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Build - AMD pci-e lanes questions

Bond007

Everything I have read always says you get better temps with intake setups on rads (as per your diagram). Not sure about the push vs pull though.

MARSTG

It's not possible to intake air from the bottom ? That's where your coldest air will be.

rjbarker

Your diagram is ideal.....all Rads should be intakes....a little better if you can fit extra fans and go push / pull.....with your 1000D you have a ton of room......my setup has all 3 Rads / Fans drawing air into the case....essentially 12 intake fans (drawing fresh air thru the 3 Radiators + 3*120mm fans drawing fresh air uninhibited into the case......only a single 140mm exhaust top / rear.....positive pressure in a big way....not too mention ideal cooling for your liquid............as mentioned...why not throw a couple of Rads down below.....

ipaine

I would go push pull, but I definitely do not have enough room. I'm using a Fractal Design R6 not the 1000D.

So no I have no room on the bottom and even up top it is tight. Too be honest while I really do like the R6, I wish it had just a bit more room. I mean say another inch and a half in height would have made it so much better. I actually wish I had bought a new case with the rest of the stuff. I have some pictures to put up but it has been a crazy week so hopefully tomorrow I'll have pics showing at least some of the adventure.

rjbarker

I would go push pull, but I definitely do not have enough room. I'm using a Fractal Design R6 not the 1000D.

So no I have no room on the bottom and even up top it is tight. Too be honest while I really do like the R6, I wish it had just a bit more room. I mean say another inch and a half in height would have made it so much better. I actually wish I had bought a new case with the rest of the stuff. I have some pictures to put up but it has been a crazy week so hopefully tomorrow I'll have pics showing at least some of the adventure.
Ah apologies....was mixing you up with Shadowarez....he's considering WC'ing and has the 1000D........with your tight case obviously tight!!! I believe Lysrin just WC'd his build with a similar case...CPU and I believe he also put a block on his GPU....cant remember for sure....pretty sure it was a Fractal case though.

ipaine

Hmmm, so due to a situation at work, I had to bring all of the extra externals and internal drives of mine home. Due to this I have to make a decision. Do I turn around and get a little NAS like the 4 bay qnap T431 and use that for my extra drives or do I just go ahead and get a different case that will give me enough room in the case to add drives there.

I was looking at the Fractal Design Define 7 XL, it would give me the room I want. It is $300, the little NAS is $350. Thoughts?

I'm torn but am sort of leaning towards the case. I think it would give me the clearance to do push/pull, which would be nice. Or any other suggestions for cases?

That said if I can make up my mind I might get it today. Just worried that MemEx might get ordered to shut down and then I would have to wait when I have time now to actually do the rebuilds.

rjbarker

For what its worth once I decided to go full WC'ing (CPU n GPU's) and because I was a total rookie with WVC'ing....I went with the largest case (and decent quality) I could find.....allow my clumsiness and big hands / fingers some leaway......
I'm not at all up to speed on best suited cases for Custom Loopre as I bought my 900D back in 2014........and still using it.....

ipaine

So funny thing, here I am thinking yea lets move to the bigger case so I have room to do push pull and my drives when I realized I have a problem.

My two 1080tis are hybrids and I'm fairly sure the tubing going to the rads is not long enough. Sigh. So then I was thinking is there a spacer or something that I could use, and there is not much out there. I found one on frozencpu but to get two of them here it would be almost $100 after shipping and the cost of the dollar.

Anyone have any ideas of what you could use as a spacer for a 120mm fan? Something I could find at Lowe's? Home Depot?

I even thought about moving the hybrids to the top of the case and then the 360 to the front, but one it would look wrong and two I'm not sure about tubing length on that one either. And no, I can't go full custom. I was thinking about it for the next video card update, but since I already have them as hybrids and they are 1080ti's they are on the tail end of their life so rather not move to custom until a new card comes along.

ipaine

Have any old 120mm fans? Just rip out the existing fan blades, motor, etc.
Hmmm, why the hell didn't I think of that. I'm positive must have a few here and there. I'm fairly sure that I would only need one for each.

You sir are brilliant!! Ok, maybe it is something not so brilliant and I should have thought of it on my own, but hey good job.

I'll just have to figure out how long of a screw I would need to make it work.