What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Build - AMD pci-e lanes questions

rjbarker

I found all kinds of small hardware (SCREWS...SPACERS...NUTS N WASHERS ETC)...soory about caps....at Home Depot....have a lot of that "little hardware" in my build ;)

ipaine

What is driving me crazy is that I think I have exactly what I need, but at my office. Well my ex office that I can't just go visit anymore. Just trying to figure out exactly how I want it set up and what exactly I need.

lowfat

Staff member
If you are ok w/ zipties, thread a ziptie upwards through the radiator fan mounts, then through the fans. Then use another ziptie on the end to hold it in place.

Izerous

Folding Team
DazMode used to have some really nice fan accessories that would work for your purpose... they were essentially a professional version of tearing old fans apart as previously suggested.

The idea was actually to put them between the fan and the radiator to prevent the dead spot from the centre point of the fan. I don't see them listed anymore however.

ipaine

Hmm, I did think of doing that. I know what should fit for a screw so if home depot has it then I'll just do that, if not then ziptie.

Oh and is it just me or did fans all go up in price? Was looking to maybe grab three more of the exact fan that is on my AIO, and they are $33. Started looking around and damn they stupid pricey some of them. I could get away with just getting a single Corsair MP120 since I already have 2 of them but then I have two different brands of fan on my rad, something I read isn't the greatest option. But is much cheaper than buying 3 Fractals or 6 of something else. Normally I wouldn't squable but I'm already basically over my wife approved budget. So I have to tread carefully.

ipaine

Ok so the distance to the front of the case is a little farther than I thought. It I continue with my plan for using the hybrid coolers at the front of the case I have to do one of the following options.

Any idea what people think? Downfalls? Pros? Is it just stupid? Etc?

Option #1
case layout 1.jpg

Option #2
case layout 2.jpg

Option #3
case layout 3.jpg

Option #4
case layout 4.jpg

Any other options people can think of?

ipaine

I threw in option 4 cause there are already 140mm fans there on the case. The catch with option 2 and 3 is finding enough "bad" fans that I can turn into spacers.

Oh there could be another option of putting the fan in between two spacers.

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member
Folding Team
My concern is that you'd have no way to sync up the two fans. One or the other would end up driving the other.

It's one thing to use matched fans on either side of a rad (they won't be perfectly matched due to the resistance of the rad, but it's a fairly minimal difference)... it's another thing to have 2 fans with differing airflow and CFMs in the exact same air vent.

JD

Staff member
I think you'd be fine just using the ~80mm screws and some nuts to hold it together for now too if you don't have enough fans to shell. I think temperatures would still be relatively okay.

You could possibly look at removing the tubing to extend it as well, but then you'd have to refill it too.

Latest posts

Twitter