What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Build - AMD pci-e lanes questions

lowfat

Staff member
I remember that back in the day, Martinm210 did a test on a rad w/ 2 sets of different fans, and it did perfectly fine.

But I'd personally do 2. You can't go wrong w/ using a shroud on a rad. These is less of a dead spot from the fans hub.

ipaine

My concern is that you'd have no way to sync up the two fans. One or the other would end up driving the other.

It's one thing to use matched fans on either side of a rad (they won't be perfectly matched due to the resistance of the rad, but it's a fairly minimal difference)... it's another thing to have 2 fans with differing airflow and CFMs in the exact same air vent.
Well about that, I have a couple choices. Right now they are in a standard push/pull with Corsair SP120 3pin fans that are connected with a y cable so they get the same speeds. Now if I did add technically a 3rd fan in the mix, I would have to either get another SP120 and then a 3 way fan splitter cable so all would run the same. Or just get 6 all new fans and the 3 way splitter pin cables.

Or like you most say just stick with the push pull and work on the shroud approach. One thing I was thinking about option 2 and 3. Wouldn't it be better to go with 3 so that the shroud is between the fan and the rad and not the other way around?

Now to figure out what fans to harvest, I have 2 that are for sure, but two others the same are more difficult.

rjbarker

I remember that back in the day, Martinm210 did a test on a rad w/ 2 sets of different fans, and it did perfectly fine.

But I'd personally do 2. You can't go wrong w/ using a shroud on a rad. These is less of a dead spot from the fans hub.
Agreed !!! ...I think that extra distance between the fan and the rad would be beneficial......considering your push / pull anyhow...