What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New build - can you re-use old windows key?

Bond007

It’s been a while since I have tried this specifically. My brother is looking to go to a new build (new cpu/mob/ram, but reusing the rest). He has his old win7 oem key, that he upgraded to windows 10. When he rebuilds, is there a way to reuse the old key (just work, or online chat to get it to work, or phone call?), or is over for that key and he needs to buy a new one?

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
The only answer to this is "try it and see". It might take, it might not.

Mr. Friendly

it's likely to work...might need reactivation though and it could require you to call a support # if it thinks something's wrong. if asked or prompted, just say it's on one PC. you could say you upgraded the mobo because the old one died, if pushed.

KaptCrunch

If was registerd, friendly is the way to go with phone registration, punch in last win10 key and wait for new one.
Stating replaced mb witch is legitimate.

Bond007

it's likely to work...might need reactivation though and it could require you to call a support # if it thinks something's wrong. if asked or prompted, just say it's on one PC. you could say you upgraded the mobo because the old one died, if pushed.
If was registerd, friendly is the way to go with phone registration, punch in last win10 key and wait for new one.
Stating replaced mb witch is legitimate.
thanks for the info. It was a win 7 key upgraded to a “digital License” (or whatever terminology they use). Do I have to try a work around to figure out the windows 10 key somehow before swapping the parts then?

Mr. Friendly

thanks for the info. It was a win 7 key upgraded to a “digital License” (or whatever terminology they use). Do I have to try a work around to figure out the windows 10 key somehow before swapping the parts then?
you shouldn't...WIndows will know the 7 key has upgraded to 10 and see it as a 10 key now.

JD

Staff member
Should be tied to his Microsoft account, if he opted to login using one. Shouldn't need to enter a key when installing, can just skip it, and once he logs in with his MS account again it should activate. If not, phone option should work to get it going.

KaptCrunch

JD correct on MS account if w7 was registerd with ms. If not install drive on new hardware but start in safe mode to recover key

Latest posts

Twitter