What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

new build for my 8yo son

Rogier

Hi, my 8 year old son is currently playing on my old crappy HP Pavilion which is falling apart and barely plays Warcraft 3 (starting him on the classics!). I'd like to upgrade his PC to a newer PC so that he can play some more recent games from my ever growing Steam library.

1. What will the PC be used for: Mainly gaming, online usage and homework in Microsoft Office
2. Budget: around EUR € 500 (approximately USD $ 600)
3. Country: the Netherlands
4. Brand preference: Intel
5. Re-using following parts: Monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, headset, vidcard (see list) and main storage (see list)
6. Overclocking: No
7. When do I want to build it: Somewhere in January or February
8. Expected resolution and settings: Want to play at 1920 x 1080 and games at medium settings?
9. Are there any specific technologies you want?: only requirement is a SSD for quick boot. Kids these days don't expect things to take 30 seconds to boot :biggrin:

I've put together the following 2 options and if someone can give me some input on whether I'm going in the right direction, or has some alternatives that would be extremely welcome. I've added links to the parts as they are on Newegg (buying them at a different store in the Netherlands though).

Many thanks in advance!

Option 1
Items to buy
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 --- €59,95
Mobo: MSI H110M PRO-VD --- €50,-
Processor: Intel® Core i3-7100, 3,9 GHz socket 1151 processor --- €119,-
Memory: Corsair 8 GB DDR4-2133 Kit --- €107,90
Storage boot: ADATA Ultimate SU650, 120 GB SSD --- €44,49
Power suppy: be quiet! System Power B8 450W --- €45,90

Total cost: € 427,24 (USD 515)

Option 2
Items to buy
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300 --- €59,95
Mobo: Gigabyte Z370P D3 bundled with processor and memory --- €279,-
Processor: Intel® Core i3-8100 processor --- (bundled)
Memory: Crucial 8 GB DDR4-2133 Kit --- (bundled)
Storage boot: ADATA Ultimate SU650, 120 GB SSD --- €44,49
Power suppy: be quiet! System Power B8 450W --- €45,90

Total cost € 429,34 (USD 517)

Spare parts in closet somewhere
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon 7870 XT Boost
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB
Cooler: planning to use the standard CPU cooler provided
Monitor: still have one standing around somewhere
Peripherals: mouse, keyboard, headset and speakers are all available

Last edited:

Lysrin

What about Windows, assuming you are using Windows? Buying that will take a little bite out of your budget too.

Groove

I would go with the system under option 2 given both system are basically the same price. The 8100 is a true quad core compared to the previous i3 7xxx generation. The only thing though is that you are paying a premium for the Z370 motherboard although it is currently the only option available. I am not sure when the H and B 3xx series motherboard will be available, but until it does, the Z370 is the only option for an 8th gen processor.

I would also suggest a bigger SSD. ~250Gb sata ssds aren't much more than the ~120 ones, the price/Gb ratio is often awful on these.

Concerning the power supplies, you may want to confirm the power requirement of the 7870XT you are planning to use just to be on the safe side.

Rogier

oohh true. Forgot about Windows let's factor in € 145, ugh.. expensive stuff. But I'll give him that and not take it out of the budget. Or am I being too nice?

Concerning the power supply; I think the card will use around 175w max. In my old setup I had this running under a 500w power supply. So you might be right that it is a bit safer to go for a 500w instead of the 450w. The price difference is minor anyway.

Concerning the SSD; I think you're absolutely right. For the price difference it'll probably be better to go for the 256GB version.
Actually I might just skip buying one and donate my 256GB one. I have a 256GB and a 500GB SSD in my current system. Along with two 1TB Seagate Barracudas.

Last edited:

Mr. Friendly

hey Rogier, the EU is a bit different when it comes to options available from brands like Lenovo...but see if you can find the Lenovo V520s desktop. Here in Canada, there is a model for about $650 with an i5-7400 quad core, 4GB DDR4 2400mhz, 500GB HDD, DVD Burner & Win 10 Pro 64bit. Or, for $550, the same configuration, but with the i3-7100 dual core w/HT. They run with onboard HD 630 Intel graphics, but they do have x16 slot where you could put in something like a GT 1030 if you wanted to give him light gaming ability.

Lysrin

Rogier, not being too nice, he is only 8 ;)

Mr. Friendly, only thing that would make me nervous about that suggestion is the 4GB of RAM. But not too expensive assuming those prices are CAD as long as the RAM can be increased, but you would still have to add an SSD to meet the original requirement.

sswilson

Staff member
As far as the OS goes.... is there a legit activation code on the old rig? Has that rig been updated to W10? If not, you can probably use the old activation code to activate a new W10 install on the new rig. (I'd give it a shot even if the old rig was updated to W10).

MARSTG

I would be looking for a used HP or DELL corporate machine with 2nd or 3rd gen core i5. These machines come loaded with Win 7 pro which is eligible for win 10 upgrade. Just upgrade the PSU and reuse that 7870xt you should be able to game at 1080 just fine.

Rogier

As far as the OS goes.... is there a legit activation code on the old rig? Has that rig been updated to W10? If not, you can probably use the old activation code to activate a new W10 install on the new rig. (I'd give it a shot even if the old rig was updated to W10).

Sadly that old rig is still running Vista :doh::whistle: the Windows version for winners :censored:

I would be looking for a used HP or DELL corporate machine with 2nd or 3rd gen core i5. These machines come loaded with Win 7 pro which is eligible for win 10 upgrade. Just upgrade the PSU and reuse that 7870xt you should be able to game at 1080 just fine.

That is actually a great idea which I'll use in part. I've been looking around second hand market 'website place thing' and I've found a place 10 minutes from my work which deals in refurbished corporate machines. I'll walk by on Monday as it seems that they actually PC's cheaper than a new Win10 license that have Win10 installed. Even if I can't use much of the system it'll still be cheaper than buying a new Windows license.

Who knows I might indeed run into something that's cheap enough to take a few upgrades. It'll make for a nice combination with my option 2 I think.

Rogier

Guys, quick update.

Found a second hand machine:
HP pro 3500
Foxconn 2ABF mobo
i5-3470k
8GB DDR3
With WIN10 Pro activated
For EUR 145

I think I'll Just buy that as the base. Swap the case and dump in a new SSD and my old HD7870

Seems like that way I might be off cheaper for very reasonable performance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Twitter