What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

new build for my 8yo son

Bond007

Good deal, and that should work well. Only thing to watch is power consumption with the stock power supply...and hp typically has proprietary psu that can’t be swapped easily.

Rogier

Good deal, and that should work well. Only thing to watch is power consumption with the stock power supply...and hp typically has proprietary psu that can’t be swapped easily.

I'm replacing the case anyway, so if I can't use the PSU I'll buy a new one. Not that much of an expense.

Just wish I hadn't been stupid 2 years ago when I threw out my perfectly fine old PSU during an upgrade :whistle:

Bond007

I'm replacing the case anyway, so if I can't use the PSU I'll buy a new one. Not that much of an expense.

Just wish I hadn't been stupid 2 years ago when I threw out my perfectly fine old PSU during an upgrade :whistle:

What I meant is that most hp computer use a psu that has different cables than a normal one...so it would need to be an hp psu, or look into how to mod it. Not sure if they all have that type of psu though.

Rogier

What I meant is that most hp computer use a psu that has different cables than a normal one...so it would need to be an hp psu, or look into how to mod it. Not sure if they all have that type of psu though.

Ahhh, I'll figure it out and otherwise I have a friend who's darn good with electronics.

Rogier

Update: I Just went to get the machine. Everything in perfect working order. Great suggestion from you Huys to look for a used business pc!

The power supply will have to go though, only 300w. I've checken and the mobo takes a normal 24 PINS connector, so I'm guessing I should be fine.

On to buy the SSD, PSU and case

sswilson

Staff member
Is there a part number on the power supply and/or the motherboard? A quick google search using those should come up with info on their compatibility.

Rogier

Another update, did some browsing and it seems that I'm not the only one who's used the HP 3500 Pro as a base. Can't really find specs on the PSU except that it's a DPS-300AB-72 A, but lot's of posts on various forums of people looking to upgrade their HP 3500 Pro with a new GPU and PSU. No failure stories and everyone seems to replace their PSU as the first order of business.

So, ordering that new PSU and case and hope for the best. Should be there on Monday. I'll let you know if the PC blows up and burns the house down (or you could follow the news in the Netherlands :biggrin: )

Mr. Friendly

be careful...HP motherboards are also proprietary...in fact, most OEM components but CPU/RAM/HDD/SSD/ODD are proprietary.

this means upgrading the PSU or moving the parts into a new case are impossible. in the case of mobo it's because the ATX mounting standards aren't using, so the cases mobo tray standoffs won't align. you might be to drill/tap holes yourself, but then the i/o may not match.

it sux. :p

Latest posts

Twitter