What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

new build for my 8yo son

Bond007

Another update, did some browsing and it seems that I'm not the only one who's used the HP 3500 Pro as a base. Can't really find specs on the PSU except that it's a DPS-300AB-72 A, but lot's of posts on various forums of people looking to upgrade their HP 3500 Pro with a new GPU and PSU. No failure stories and everyone seems to replace their PSU as the first order of business.

So, ordering that new PSU and case and hope for the best. Should be there on Monday. I'll let you know if the PC blows up and burns the house down (or you could follow the news in the Netherlands :biggrin: )

Just compare the pins before you force it in the oem motherboard...hopefully it is atx standard.

Rogier

Omg... this just shows how slightly changing the wording in your google search can change the results.
Look what I found on the LTT forums:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/724014-upgrading-the-hp-pro-3500/

It even has a video showing the guy replacing the GPU and PSU :biggrin:

So that'll be fine. If it turns out that the mobo doesn't fit the new case I can cram everything into the ugly old case. Then I can return the case, as the Netherlands has a 14 day return policy on internet purchases by law. I can always make the case a separate project with my son, spray painting it and stuff.

Last edited:

Rogier

Hi Guys, quick update.

Spent almost the whole of this evening literally and figuratively 'screwing' around. Messed up one of the mobo screws, but finally got it off. So transplanted everything, mobo and hdd, in the Phanteks case and hooked up the new power supply. No extra cables or anything needed, everything completely stock format! Dumped the GPU in, no problem.

Then came the big moment: Push the power button and....... nothing happened. Checked everything twice.... nothing happened. Got frustrated and got a drink and during the drink had a bright idea! :clap:

Everything on the mobo is completely stock, except for the power button pins :doh:. Did a screwdriver test on the pins and figured out which ones to connect. Now everything works! :bananafunky:

Decided to call it a night, only 6 hours of sleepy time remaining. Things on the to do list:
- figure out which of the pins are for the HDD led and the led on the power button
- hook up the SSD and install OS on there
- install all the drivers and stuff
- convince my wife that my son really needs a led strip in the case (how else is he going to read his books when the room is dark?)

I'll give you an update when I'm done.

On side note; Windows 10 Pro seems awfully fast even without the SSD, just running on the HDD that came with it. Or is that just because the PC is empty with only Windows on there? Can't remember when I last had a PC with just Windows on there.

sswilson

Staff member
Hi Guys, quick update.

Spent almost the whole of this evening literally and figuratively 'screwing' around. Messed up one of the mobo screws, but finally got it off. So transplanted everything, mobo and hdd, in the Phanteks case and hooked up the new power supply. No extra cables or anything needed, everything completely stock format! Dumped the GPU in, no problem.

Then came the big moment: Push the power button and....... nothing happened. Checked everything twice.... nothing happened. Got frustrated and got a drink and during the drink had a bright idea! :clap:

Everything on the mobo is completely stock, except for the power button pins :doh:. Did a screwdriver test on the pins and figured out which ones to connect. Now everything works! :bananafunky:

Decided to call it a night, only 6 hours of sleepy time remaining. Things on the to do list:
- figure out which of the pins are for the HDD led and the led on the power button
- hook up the SSD and install OS on there
- install all the drivers and stuff
- convince my wife that my son really needs a led strip in the case (how else is he going to read his books when the room is dark?)

I'll give you an update when I'm done.

On side note; Windows 10 Pro seems awfully fast even without the SSD, just running on the HDD that came with it. Or is that just because the PC is empty with only Windows on there? Can't remember when I last had a PC with just Windows on there.

W10 has some form of fast boot functionality by default. Clean installs on mechanical HDDs boot fairly quickly on older laptops I've played with recently. It's the installs that take absolutely forever when you're used to doing them on an SSD.

Rogier

Hi Guys,

Final update. Had some delays due to work, but I now have everything up and running! My son is very happy with the computer.

Problems during the build:
- Messed up with a screw on the motherboard, took me an hour to fix that
- Had to figure out that the motherboard pin-out for the power switch is different that I expected
- New case only had a USB 3.0 connector for the front panel, the mobo doesn't have USB 3.0. Fixed with a converter cable
- Couldn't convince my wife that a led cable in the case is an absolute necessity. I'll have to keep working on that

Comments during the build:
- My wife: "Get all that stuff off the table, dinner is ready"
- My son: "Oh that windows is very useful, we can what's going on if the computer stops working"

Thanks for the help and the comments!

Shadowmeph

that is the one thing I love about putting together a PC . its the great relief when something isn't working and I go through the "what the hell" ,get tense and frustrated go for a walk , come back and realize that it ends up being something like I connected the power switch to the reset and the reset to the power button pins. laugh at myself for getting all Poed for something so simple.

Bond007

Glad it worked out! A solid setup to start with. Down the road if it is getting good use, a new gpu and monitor would be a solid place for improvements, and the rest of the system could keep up no problem.

Latest posts

Twitter