What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New build for my brother

UberMoo

my parents asked me if i could build my brother pc. They're giving me a budget of nothing above 800 dollars(before tax)

My brother is a gamer, and i do plan on somewhat overclocking the computer, but im wondering what you guys think i should get.

quad/i7?

8800gt/9x series? (note im not a fanboy, but ive just had better experiences with nvidia, going single card only, but possibly want to go 2 cards in the future,)

antec 900/Thermaltake armor/armor jr

Corsair cmpsu-750tx ( maybe less wattage if someone can give me an idea of how much ill need)

screen not included because we have a nice one already.

i dont follow much anymore the tech news, but have nvidia implemented the whole "2 graphics cards, 1 for graphics, one for physics"?

edit* looking at some prices at newegg.ca alone, i realize i may have my standards too high

Last edited:

UberMoo

from what i remember, my brother plays any game he can possibly get his hands on.

and you really think sswilson? then again, its cheaper and fits the budget alot better. Im having a hardtime with the motherboard though.

edit: also, i think im going to try and save some money(to spend more wisley on other peices) and not get two pci 2.0 slots, i dont think my brother would go sli.

thinking maybe an
asus p5ql pro
asis p5q se plus

Last edited:

sswilson

Staff member

UberMoo

well that board seems to be quite exacly what i need. and the computer should be fine in the price range. Ill throw up the same peices on both dc and ncix (including pricematching) to see if i can get a better deal. thanks for the help

rjbarker

For $800 gaming rig, drop the quad for an E8400.
+1 for OC'd E8400
8800gt/9x series? (note im not a fanboy, but ive just had better experiences with nvidia, going single card only, but possibly want to go 2 cards in the future,)
Remember, if you use a MOBO other than an Nforce Board, as in 750i or 780i you will not be going SLI in the future, that door is closed with an Intel Board. Therefor you may want to consider an ATI Card.

sswilson

Staff member
+1 for OC'd E8400
Remember, if you use a MOBO other than an Nforce Board, as in 750i or 780i you will not be going SLI in the future, that door is closed with an Intel Board. Therefor you may want to consider an ATI Card.
He changed the requirements later on.... :)

from what i remember, my brother plays any game he can possibly get his hands on.

and you really think sswilson? then again, its cheaper and fits the budget alot better. Im having a hardtime with the motherboard though.

edit: also, i think im going to try and save some money(to spend more wisley on other peices) and not get two pci 2.0 slots, i dont think my brother would go sli.

thinking maybe an
asus p5ql pro
asis p5q se plus

Latest posts

Twitter