What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New build freezes up

jarko

Hi all,
I need help with a new PC that I have recently built. It keeps freezing up at random times.
Here is what I have tried:
1. I ran the installation of Windows Vista Home Premium OEM -> it froze up during install
2. I tried the Vista setup again and this time it was successful.
3. After install, Vista kept freezing up at random times when I was using it (seems linke there is no pattern at all).
4. I ran a Windows XP Professional clean install after reboot -> froze up during install
The above leads me to believe it is a hardware issue.
What do you think?
How can I troubleshoot it?
BTW, I went to BIOS, loaded "Fail-safe" defaults and it made no difference.

Below is my setup:
Motherboard: MSI 790FX-GD70
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition (stock fan installed)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 TW3X4G1333C9 4GB DDR3 2X2GB DDR-1333 CL 9-9-9-24 Dual Channel
Viedo card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 PCIE
Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 750GB
Power supply: Antec Earthwatts 650W Power Supply ATX12V V2.2 EPS12V ActivePFC 80Plus
Case: Antec 300
Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
jarko223

jarko

No, the system is not overclocked. I have reset the BIOS settings to "Fail-safe". Motherboard came with the latest BIOS already installed (ver. 1.3).

Problem is I cannot re-install since it freezes during OS install (both Vista and XP). The one time I was able to install Vista, I did manage to install the drivers but it kept freezing up anyway when I tried to install Windows updates, when I was browsing to look at solution, or even when I was not doing anything.

Please help?

Shadowmeph

maybe a ram problem?. I am only guessing because I had an issue a while back when I added ram to my board it would freeze up as soon as it go to the boot screen. I manually set the timings and volts for the ram and it fixed my problem. have you tried just using one stick of ram and installing ,if it freezes pull the ram and try another stick

Perineum

Don't try installing, that's not going to tell you anything. Even bad ram will sometimes install an entire OS.

Download and burn a copy of memtest86 and run that for at least one whole pass.... if no problem then move on.

Also, using the BIOS make sure your CPU temps aren't out of line.

Downloading a LIVE cd like Knoppix might not be a bad idea either.

odis172

I agree, could be overheating or bad ram. Make sure heatsink is attached firmly, and you didnt put on thermal paste if its a stock cooler, or that you did put on thermal paste if its an aftermacket hsf. Could also be a loose/bad sata cable.
When it freezes, does it completly lock up, or give you a Bsod/restart.

sswilson

Staff member
Shadowmeph mentioned doing it on his build, but didn't specifically ask if you've done it yourself...... Have you verified what volts are required for your memory and set that in bios?

G

Shadowmeph mentioned doing it on his build, but didn't specifically ask if you've done it yourself...... Have you verified what volts are required for your memory and set that in bios?
Yup that would be my first step, set all your ram values manually.
Hades was having similar problems until I asked if he set his ram to manual, volia fixed his problem.

jarko

Here is what I did:
First I set the timings manually to 9-9-9-24 in BIOS. I couldn't figure out how to change the voltage. The option says "Auto" and is greyed out.
The system still froze up.
Second, I tried only 1 stick of RAM.
Still freezes.

Then, I ran Memtest 86+ over night and no errors were found. Will playing with the voltage still make the difference given that no errors were found with the current settings? If so, maybe I will ask at MSI forums how to change it in BIOS.

Also, I was wrong about my BIOS being the latest version. I have 1.3 while the latest is 1.5. Will update then try again.

Odis172: The stock CPU cooler came with thermal paste already on it. The cpu temp in BIOS is anywhere between 35 and 40 C. Strangely, the windows AMD utility shows a temp of around 25 C for each core (completely diff from BIOS). Not sure if this means anything but when I touch the CPU heat sink it's not even warm.
When it freezes it completely locks up, no BSOD or restart.