What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

new build help

appinboy

i like to upgrade my present pc with a new build ; its is almost 10 years old ; i am looking at a crosshair VIII hero or dark hero couples with a ryzen processor and a x570 chipset but do not know what the difference is between a ryzen 9; 5950 or a ryzen 9; 3900XT both have 12 cores ' also what would be a good not over expensive graphics card ; I do some photo applications and some gaming but am not a die hard gamer ; the other thing is now my old system is in a Thermaltake VL9000 series case is the A90 what would be a good comparable case ; my old system i am going to either sell or give to a friend who does not have a PC; I g=have a crosshair formula IV with a amd phenom IIX4 965 and a radeon 5750 graphics card and i am running windows10 pro ; so right now most new games will not run on my old system saying graphic card is not compatible;

moocow

Unless you got at least $1K set aside just for GPU, you aren't going to play any new games anyway. The key difference between 5950 and 3900 is the chip design different, it's a jump from Zen 2 to Zen 3. See this review here:

What are you doing that requires 12 cores? If you're strictly gaming the 5600X is more than enough. Unless you are doing stuff like 3D rendering, R9 is a total waste of money. You can try reusing the case but if you decide to go watercooling (custom or AIO) you probably need a new case that support radiator mounting.

sswilson

Staff member
The 5950X is 16 core while the 3900X is 12. The 5900X is the 12 core equivalent Zen 3 processor.

As far as the difference between the two.... it's enough of a bump that I'd personally try to get a 5XXX version for a few bucks more (assuming I could find one), but probably wouldn't upgrade from a 3XXX chip if I already had one.

As far as Graphics cards go.... this is an absolutely terrible time to be trying to build a gaming PC. Even getting a decent 1080p card is difficult, and something that'll do 1440p is almost impossible unless you buy a pre-built PC from one of the large manufacturers.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
5000 series chips are an almost daily drop now, even for 5900s. As an end of socket item, if you're not a frequent updates I would definitely get the most current chip unless there is a very significant savings

Latest posts

Twitter