What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New build is ready. What now?

sakage.shinga

Hi guys,

So my new build is finally fully assembled and I've gotten to POST. Below is what I think my next steps are but I could really use some input since this is my first time using a SSD and also working with UEFI instead of BIOS.

1) Update BIOS/UEFI???
2) Set SATA to RAID (since I have 2 WD Reds that will be put into RAID 1).
3) Set memory profile to XMP (actually not too sure about this part; should I leave on AUTO and also set DRAM voltage to rated 1.5V?)
4) Install Windows 7 (I will be following Sean's Windows 7 Install & Optimization Guide for SSDs & HDDs)
5) Partition my SSD so that I can still have Steam + a few games on the SSD but without having to reinstall them if I ever decide to reformat my OS.
6) Possibly overclock (not sure yet).

My biggest questions are whether or not I should update BIOS/UEFI first or later, and also whether I should set XMP or leave on AUTO (i.e. load all defaults for BIOS/UEFI except for setting SATA mode to RAID).

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

sakage.shinga

Thanks guys! Also, my SSD lacks a 2.5" drive cage and is simply secured to a 3.5" cage via ONE of the cage's pins. It is a little bit loose, but since a SSD has no moving parts I'm assuming this isn't a problem?

Last two questions:

1) When I do eventually update BIOS/UEFI, should I leave XMP on or load full defaults?
2) When I installed my RAM (sorry, more of a hardware question), I accidentally installed the two dimms into slots A2 and B2 instead of A1 and B1. I'm assuming that I'll still get dual channel but I just want to make sure (the memory slots are now covered by my massive D14...lol).

Thanks!!!

Last edited:

Birk

yup you'll be fine with an ssd having some instability. they're best for notebooks and tablets for that reason.

I might have a 2.5" to 3.5" converter if you need it. PM me ill take a look for it.

Entilza

For your SSD, check the bottom there should be mounts to screw it from the bottom in your 3.5 case removable HDD holders. Not from the side like traditional 3.5 drives but the bottom.

JD

Staff member
2) When I installed my RAM (sorry, more of a hardware question), I accidentally installed the two dimms into slots A2 and B2 instead of A1 and B1. I'm assuming that I'll still get dual channel but I just want to make sure (the memory slots are now covered by my massive D14...lol).
That may cause issues, hard to say for certain. Each board behaves a bit differently.

If it turns on though, you should be okay.

sakage.shinga

CPU-Z will verify if your memory is running in dual channel mode.

Seems to be. I'm still going to put the dimms in the right slots though. Do I need to reapply thermopaste if I'm on taking the D14 off briefly?

Latest posts