What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Build need helppppp

Shan

Hello guys, as you could see i am new to this website. Just wanted say that you guys have a great community here, helping each other out:clap:

I am building a new beast for my brother. He is crazy he wants the best stuff in there and i am not sure where to start. I am not even sure he’ll go with all the stuff that I picked but as for top of the line PC, planning on going with Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 Quad Core Processor or should I go with Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Quad Core Processor LGA775. What do you guys think? which one is more stable??

MOBO: If I am going with QX9770, the mobo will be Asus Rampage Extreme
Motherboard
For the i7 Extreme 965 since tiger direct only has Asus P6T-Deluxe Motherboard or EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard Which one guys……helpppp

Memory: DDR3 not sure which one to go for….help please…….

PSU: going with Ultra X3 ULT40070 1600-Watt Power Supply

DVD: Lite-On DH-4B1S Serial ATA Interface Blu-ray Disc Writer (OEM)

HardDrive: 1xWD VelociRaptor 300GB Hard Drive WD3000HLFS - 10K RPM, 16MB Cache, SATA 300MB/s

1x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 1TB Hard Drive - 7200, 32MB, SATA-300, OEM

Sound card: Creative Labs SB X-FI Titanium Fatal1ty Champ PCIe Sound Card

Keyboard: Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard (2007 Version) ………anything better then this???

MICE: ??????Help thank you

Case: Thermaltake Black Kandalf LCS Full…. Because it comes with nice rad. if you have something nice in mind let me know pleaseee….

Video Card: I am going with 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Video Card SSC Edition…….. Planning on going with liquid cooling system. I am not too familiar with liquid cooling L but I want to do liquid cooling on all the cards. Help…. can I do it with the rad that comes with the case.

As for liquid cooling what do I need to get for this system I am lost when it comes to liquid cooling. mainly for the video card and CPU…..

Please keep in mind that i am getting all my stuff from tiger direct. I know NCIX is cheaper but i have a friend who works there that can give me some discount. so I am limited, i can only get the stuff that they have:sad:

thank you guys

Squeetard

"Quote This..."
I love my Logitech G9 mouse. It's wired though.

I don't know if the 1600 watt PS will fit inside the case, better make sure.

Soultribunal

Staff member
Okay,
Hard to say where to start helping you but I will only Pickup the parts I can help you on. Everyone else on here will Go with there Specialties!

First off, that case will not work for you. ThermalTake LCS systems are frought with Flaws, that and it is designed for the LGA775 Socket Setup, not the LGA1366 which is the new Core i7 that you have listed. (Correct me if I'm wrong HWC, I am not aware of a bracket kit yet for the 1366 that would work with that).

If you opt for a nice big case, get the CoolerMaster HAF 932 (Tiger has it). It will be more than enough for the needs of that Setup.

Secondly going with a 1.6kW powersupply is more than Overkill, its insane :shok::shok::shok:!!!!
(Don't worry I'm not being harsh lol, just my eyes went wide seeing that size of PS).

Now, I know there are people on this Website who run a really good Core i7 setup on 620w Powersupplies. So, for that I suggest going down a little to a Ultra 850w Modular PS.

As for Liquid Cooling it, If you can't get the supplies from Anywhere but Tiger, go Air on that Case. The Thermaltake (thanks to HWC BTW for setting me straight) Bigwater series anything is frought with flaws. Anyone else here as well would recommend a Swiftech Setup Instead which you can get from NCIX.

I'll leave anything else I ommited to the great help that exists here.

Good Luck man,

ST

chrisk

Folding Captain
I am building a new beast for my brother. He is crazy he wants the best stuff in there and i am not sure where to start. I am not even sure he’ll go with all the stuff that I picked but as for top of the line PC, planning on going with Intel Core i7 Extreme 965 Quad Core Processor or should I go with Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9770 Quad Core Processor LGA775. What do you guys think? which one is more stable??

MOBO: If I am going with QX9770, the mobo will be Asus Rampage Extreme
Motherboard
For the i7 Extreme 965 since tiger direct only has Asus P6T-Deluxe Motherboard or EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard Which one guys……helpppp

Memory: DDR3 not sure which one to go for….help please…….

PSU: going with Ultra X3 ULT40070 1600-Watt Power Supply

Video Card: I am going with 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 280 Video Card SSC Edition

I'll put my 2c on what I quoted above:
1. If you are going with two Geforce video cards, that pretty much rules out the Rampage Extreme motherboard. You will want to run the video cards in SLi mode, which is not supported on the X48 chipset that the Rampage uses. better to go with the P6T or the Evga. I personally would rather go for the Asus, as I have never used EVGA boards before, but somebody else might have something further to say.

2. PSU: I would go with the Corsair HX 1000. Corsair really stands by their products, and this PS has a great reputation. Ultra has out out some good products, but you are taking a chance with them.

3. Video cards: If you have lots of cash then this is a great card. The GTX 260s are also a good choice if you want to go cheaper. Remember, if you want to use them both in SLI you need an nVidia 780/790i chipset board for the Core2 cpus, or the newer x58 chipset for the i7 cpus. Check the motherboard specs first to ensure that it supports SLI.

chrisk

Folding Captain
BTW Tiger Directs prices are pretty high...I would check the size of the discount from TD against the regular prices at Canada Computers, NCIX etc.

Dashock

PSU: going with Ultra X3 ULT40070 1600-Watt Power Supply - Definetely overkill i know yer pumping 2 280's as well as a Quad Core a good 1000 watt system would be perfect and good luck fitting such a big psu on the Kandalf.

Dashock

BTW Tiger Directs prices are pretty high...I would check the size of the discount from TD against the regular prices at Canada Computers, NCIX etc.

2. PSU: I would go with the Corsair HX 1000. Corsair really stands by their products, and this PS has a great reputation. Ultra has out out some good products, but you are taking a chance with them.

Agreed Tiger Directs prices are always more expensive i hope your getting a good discount.

Shan

Thank you guys....I am going to tiger direct after work to check out a few stuff with them....so i guess i have the change the case...as for liquid cooling, what do i need to look for???sorry I am new to building computers. i know everything in a computer but never got a chance to put one together. as for the memory....which one do guys think i should go for? for LGA 1366

Shan

quick question would you pick ATI or Nvidia, I am not sure which one to go for....i have Nvida XFX9800GTX Black Edition and i love it

Soultribunal

Staff member
Well, if you have to stick with Tiger for your parts (I'm not complaining because I use my Coporate with them all the time).

Go with:

Corsair XMS3 Tri Channel 3GB PC12800 DDR3 Memory - 1600MHz, 3072MB (3 x 1024MB) TR3X3G1600C9 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca

otherwise, there is a good amount of people here who swear by the Mushkin Memory Available elsewhere.

The choice is yours.
For LC setup, I can't help, I don't have enough experience. I had to come here to get help myself on it.
but I am sure there are people who can more than explain how to do an LC setup if thats what you want!

Regards,
ST

Latest posts