What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Build - Opinions Please.

Loejack

I just wanted some opinions on the components I've selected for my new computer.

1.) This PC will be used for gaming.
2.) 1000 to 1300 budget
3.) Buying from Canada.
4.) I'm not really a fan-boy of any brand.
5.) not using any parts from my old PC except for my monitor.
6.) I've read many of the build threads posted in the last week or so.
7.) I've never overclocked before but I think I'd like to give it a try on this one.
8.) I'll be building this sometime in September most likely.

System specs:
Motherboard: ASUS P5Q Pro
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
RAM: Mushkin HP PC2-6400 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-800 CL5-4-4-12
Video Card: Palit Radeon HD 4870
PSU: Corsair THX650W
Case: Coolermaster CM 690
Hard drive: Segate Barracuda 7200.11 640GB
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-S203N SATA DVD+RW

From what I've read on previous builds and your suggestions I'm guessing that what I've chosen will work pretty well but please make any suggestions otherwise.

Do I need an aftermarket cooler for my processor? If so, which one would you suggest?
Should I add more fans to my case? If so, how many and what brand seem to be the quietest?
Should I get Vista 64 or 32?

enaberif

Good job on choosing parts. Everything looks good.

I personally would opt out for a 250g seagate for a OS drive and then a 500 or 640 down the road for your data drives. I'm a firm believer in keeping anything important away from your OS in case your OS bombs.

OS? Just go with Vista HP 32bit.

miggs78

Enaberif why not the Biostar board, it only costs a tad bit more, and he said he might wanna try overclocking, probably the best low priced board for overclocking would have to be Biostar.

Hard drives I'd agree with enaberif, you always want to keep your data on a different drive other than OS, just in case of a corruption.

Aftermark cooler definitely an OCZ Vendetta 2, they work real good.

Other than that, your list is pretty much what somebody would suggest.

enaberif

P5Q-Pro is a good board and the 8400 will overclock well on it.

Artic Freezer is an inexpensive HSF but can get noisy so I'd recommend the Vendetta as well for a few dollars more.

Loejack

Good idea on the hard drives. I actually have a 250 SATA in my old comp that I could move over to this one. Thanks for the info guys. Any opinions on extra fans for my case or won't I need them?

enaberif

Good idea on the hard drives. I actually have a 250 SATA in my old comp that I could move over to this one. Thanks for the info guys. Any opinions on extra fans for my case or won't I need them?

Worry about fans once you get your system setup.

If you find your temps are higher than normal than think about it. But the stock cooling is good by itself.

cwestwell

Looks like a solid setup. I only have a couple suggestions to be taken lightly.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1 - G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK PC2-8500 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15[/FONT]

I have had good luck with these and they only run about $15 more then the Mushkin 6400 kit however the timings are not as tight but if you are going to OC you may want the extra FSB support from the faster ram. However MushkinGreg could be worth the difference if you have any issues.

Now the next suggestion is a little strange cause I love ATI but going with the nofanboy thing you could save about $50 if you went with the GTX260 and maybe put the difference toward the E8600 instead. Now this depends completely on if you want to Crossfire in the future and if you get an awesome price on a 4870 say below 270 then void this statment. The 2 cards are really really close and I have heard many good things about the new e8600 E0 stepping for OC'ing. Either way you will have a solig game box on your hands.

Anyway that is all my thoughts.

miggs78

P5Q-Pro is a good board and the 8400 will overclock well on it.

Artic Freezer is an inexpensive HSF but can get noisy so I'd recommend the Vendetta as well for a few dollars more.

I was just making sure, yeah the P5Q Pro is a nice board, in-expensive and a very popular board.

Latest posts