What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New build randomly heavy stuttering (Ryzen 5 3600)

Hey, guys. I am still very lay, so please be patient with me.
My new platform arrived a few days ago, I assembled everything, all seemed fine, but then this began happening:

It's not always like this, it apparently happens every other time the system is turned on, it's seen everywhere, from the mouse pointer in an idle desktop to triple A games and the intensity varies from only two stutters on a working period to the example above (unusable). When it's like this and I try to reboot or shutdown through Windows it doens't work, everything seems off but the fans and the power switch light/storage activity light keep on, and I have to reboot/shutdown manually. After that, generally everything returns to normal, until the system is shutdown and powered on again. If I try to record audio from the system when that happens, when it's rebooted and behaving normally, the recorded audio also playsback normally. Didn't try to record the screen, but I believe the same would happen.

Configuration:
Ryzen 5 3600 (issue appears at stock or overclocked via OC Genie)/stock cooler
MSI X570 A Pro
16GB (2X8) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600mhz (issue appears with AXMP on or at stock 2133mhz)
Micron M600 1TB Sata SSD 2,5"
Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB Mini
Seasonic 520W Fanless 80Plus Platinum
Corsair Carbide 400C
2X Noctua NF-A14 for intake
1X Noctua NF-S12A exaust
Windows 10 Home Single Language 64bit 10.0.18363

All drivers are updated via Driver Easy, BIOS is updated (Version 7C37vH7).

The only thing I could think about is that this PSU has only one 8pin CPU power cable, but I've read about other people using this motherboard like that and having no issues. I could buy a separate cable, though.

I'm disappointed, thinking about returning the CPU and MOBO if I can't figure this out and get a 9700/Z390. What do you think?

Thank you so much and sorry for the long post.

lowfat

Staff member
Unplug peripherals one at a time and see it it happens. Definitely could be drivers for an onboard device as well. If it happens after all the peripherals have been removed, try disabling soundcard, etc one at a time in device manager.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Agree with the others, drivers likely.

I wouldn't use 'driver easy' for your drivers. Go to the source (Mfgr) for all your drivers.

gingerbee

Yup there 100% right try to uninstall all divers after you walk through lowfat step and go and download the drivers you need yourself don't use a software tool just to be sure.

go to the motherboard site you may want to use another pc to do that so you can uninstall all your other drivers without MS auto-installing drivers to make things work then install only base drivers and your GPU drivers
base drivers

x570 chipset drivers
sound drivers
Lan drivers
GPU drivers
it should work with just those

You also want to check that it's not your SSD I have had problems in the past similar to this caused by an SSD stuttering when trying to write but it's new so should be ok
Good Luck

Bond007

I will re-comment. I still feel it is driver. Agree with others that I always install my drivers myself for anything I want above what windows 10 does itself.

if you can’t figure it out,or want the easy button (no troubleshooting), then just wipe the drive>fresh install windows>download and install drivers yourself.

I would be pretty in that fixing everything.

Thank you so much, guys (I tried other foruns, but people didn't answer me). I tried a fresh Windows install, but not manually installing the drivers, gonna try.

Not sure If I'll be able to handle this myself (also worried about doing shit), but I'm now much reliefed knowing that it's probably just a driver issue.

Thanks to you all.

JD

Staff member
Once you get Windows installed, I would start with letting Windows Update run as it usually grabs a bunch of drivers itself.

After that's rebooted, then install the latest AMD Chipset drivers from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Reboot again, install your audio driver from here: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X570-A-PRO#down-driver&Win10 64

I'll be a bit controversial here and say grab GeForce Experience: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/geforce-experience/ and let it update the video card driver to the latest.

That should be all you need. It looks like your board uses Realtek for it's NIC which is generally supported out of box with Windows 10.

One hardware aspect I would check - is your RAM in slots 2 & 4 (from the CPU left to right) like the below?

1585604856976.png

Thank you so much, JD, and also all the others.

I followed all the steps (RAM sticks were already in the correct positions - they print that in the board's PCB too) and am now reinstalling my softwares - no issues so far.

Thanks again, you are great!

Reactions: JD

jeyc42

Hi! I believe i am experiencing the same issues as you but I tried all the driver installations as well, is your system still working well with no further issues?

Latest posts