What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Build: Windows 8 or W7 now and W8 Later?!? . . .

sswilson

Staff member
Best way to is learn for yourself bout each OS

The only way you will learn anything in regards to this is to do it for yourself

Try each OS out.

To expensive you say? get a ms tech net subscription

Not so much any more. Technet subs are now restricted to enterprise / pro versions of OS. (I won't be re-subscribing when the time comes).

tyreman

Not so much any more. Technet subs are now restricted to enterprise / pro versions of OS. (I won't be re-subscribing when the time comes).

That is quite true

I have the ms subscription and yes it is 7 pro(various other iterations available)
The ms office tech net gives is better than student teacher version and I don't think I can get both, OS & office, for my other computers separately for the tech net fee that's why I use tech net.

Shadowmeph

I think that they removed part of explorer in win8 which make it quicker because when I was using the hack it would sometimes freeze up when loading things like firefox I would have to load the task manager and restart explorer. but when I removed the hack there where no freezes ever so it had something to do with the explorer and start menu.
I think that once people learn or memorize the shortcuts win 8 would be a decent OS

botat29

LOl, I renew mine and they authorize the cc 3 weeks ago and they never charge it, my subscription is now renew until September 2013 for free, it's the second time MS mess up something and don't charge .....

sswilson

Staff member
I think that they removed part of explorer in win8 which make it quicker because when I was using the hack it would sometimes freeze up when loading things like firefox I would have to load the task manager and restart explorer. but when I removed the hack there where no freezes ever so it had something to do with the explorer and start menu.
I think that once people learn or memorize the shortcuts win 8 would be a decent OS

I think that's the main disconnect with the users (like myself) who hate the new interface (and who are praying for linux game support prior to win7 losing it's support). Quite frankly, the only shortcuts I use with any regularity are ctrl-c / ctrl-v, even using the windows key is restricted to those times when I want to drop to the desktop from an application (like a full screen game) that isn't windowed.

I use menus almost exclusively, and have no desire to learn / memorize shortcuts, or non-inuitive methods of accessing what I need/want.

muse108dc

can someone tell me why steam won't be working in desktop mode in win8?

steam will work, not sure where you got that it wouldn't. It won't be in metro but then nothing worthwhile for the desktop will be. Which is why 8 is mostly useless. Should add that it won't be working on the arm version, RT, but it will work on any x86 system, aka Intel or AMD.

though it will take willpower to stop me buying a surface this month, I want to wait for the pro version.

Fleurious

I think that's the main disconnect with the users (like myself) who hate the new interface (and who are praying for linux game support prior to win7 losing it's support). Quite frankly, the only shortcuts I use with any regularity are ctrl-c / ctrl-v, even using the windows key is restricted to those times when I want to drop to the desktop from an application (like a full screen game) that isn't windowed.

I use menus almost exclusively, and have no desire to learn / memorize shortcuts, or non-inuitive methods of accessing what I need/want.

I'm in the same boat except I quite frequently use WinKey-Left/Right at work when working with two documents per screen. I just hope MS goes back to the start menu for the next Windows because I've never been able to get the hang of Linux.

Generic User #2

steam will work, not sure where you got that it wouldn't. It won't be in metro but then nothing worthwhile for the desktop will be. Which is why 8 is mostly useless. Should add that it won't be working on the arm version, RT, but it will work on any x86 system, aka Intel or AMD.

though it will take willpower to stop me buying a surface this month, I want to wait for the pro version.

I'm actually quite well aware of this ;)

then if steam works normally, why do people demand linux support all of a sudden?

I just hope MS goes back to the start menu for the next Windows because I've never been able to get the hang of Linux.

don't count on it.

source: microsoft rep at conference*

*this was what I was told about a year ago. Obviously been a long time, but i haven't seen any reason to believe otherwise.

frontier204

Well that settles it - I'm reverting my main desktop back to Windows 7 :sad:

Neither my Razer Blackwidow or Logitech G500's software work with Windows 8 (and I don't want to get into trying anything silly like disabling security features to try to get them working). I could afford to have my sound card and USB 3.0 with semi-functional Windows 7 drivers, but when I found out it would be impossible for me to use a macro key...

Too bad it also means saying goodbye to File History and the defrag program that sends TRIMs to the SSD, but I suppose there's 3rd party programs that can do those.

EDIT:
If you want to know some other issues I found with 3rd party stuff - I could deal with these but the keyboard and mouse thing was a deal breaker:

• MSI Kombustor can't test in DirectX 11 mode
  • Setting Firefox as default browser makes the Internet Explorer shortcut always point to the "desktop" version of IE
  • My Caviar Black 1TB doesn't work properly off my motherboard's SATA 6.0Gbps port regardless of whether I use Intel or Microsoft drivers
Stuff that I found worked perfectly other than Microsoft stuff:

• MSI Afterburner (including video record)
  • TeamSpeak 3
  • APC PowerChute
  • Dropbox
  • MercurialHG
  • VisualHG Plugin for Visual Studio 2010 (mercurial VCS)
  • BOINC Manager on the CPU
  • TrueCrypt (except encrypting system partitions - didn't try that one although I did use encrypted non-system partitions with no issue)
  • Guild Wars 2
  • HDTune
  • Unison

Last edited:

Latest posts