What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Build - Windows won't load

bonanza2000

I got some build troubles and I need a little help. Here's the parts list:

O.S. - Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Case - Cooler Master HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1
PSU - Corsair HX Series CMPSU-650HX 650W
Processor - Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost)
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
RAM - Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1333 CMX8GX3M2A1333C9
Video Card - MSI N460GTX Twin Frozr II SOC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 768MB
Keyboard/Mouse Logitech MK200 Black USB Wired Slim Mouse and Keyboard Combo
Hard Drive #1 Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
DVD Drive #1 Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

Although I pulled the video card out to simplify the trouble shoot.

When I built it and put the win 7 disk in, it loaded the software and seemed to finish and then reboot. When it reboots it asked if you want to change the BIOS to SATA and I said yes and then I get the windows didn't start correctly screen do you want to start in safe mode, network mode, safe mode with dos prompt or start windows normally. Whatever you click on just makes the computer reboot. I tried loading the default BIOS settings but that doesn't seem to help. I took out the video card since I thought maybe that was doing something. Looks like windows tries to come up but then chokes and reboots. Loading in safe mode shows it loading lots of things in a dos window. BIOS seems to see all the parts and all 8 GB of RAM. Says the CPU temp is 36.

Any thoughts out there as to what my next move should be?

coleo

in your bios make sure that you HD with win 7 is listed as first boot device.
or you can switch your sata cables and make sure that that device becomes first boot HD even in default

G

What is your drives set to? AHCI, IDE?

Is your ram set to AUTO settings? Could be your ram is getting enough voltage for the post but not when a load ( starting windows) is applied.

Shadowmeph

I would try a repair install to me that seems to be a windows 7 problem. I don't remember if win7 does this but I do remember that some OS's reboot but you are supposed to leave the disk in the drive becasue it still loads off of the disk to finish the install and if that screws up you need to start all over again. if the repair install doesn't work try to boot into a live cd if that works then it definitely is a windows issue

bonanza2000

I tried the above suggestions, yes it is set to AHCI, upped the voltage to 1.6 on the 1.5 auto RAM

Didn't seem to help. When boot in safe mode, it loads some stuff, shows the windows screen with the 4 swirlly dots, and says setting up windows for first time use and then like the motherboard shuts down or something. The screen goes dark and it reboots. The windows disk is in the DVD drive.

I can't seem to get windows up enough to try a repair install unless you can suggest a way to do it.

I am thinking of pulling the hard drive and formating and retrying the windows install. Any other thoughts here?

canada2005

I'd say, change all your bios settings to their correct settings then just restart the Windows install again from the beginning.

bonanza2000

I am pretty sure my BIOS settings are correct. This is the fourth Gigabyte board I have used.
I even reset the BIOS to its default settings and that doesn't seem to get windows to boot up even with the windows disk in the DVD drive

I am not sure what a live CD is that you are referring to.

Latest posts