What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New build with an X570 MATX board: what should I do?

Eric Storm

As many of you, I am trying to put together a new PC build.
I was really going with a Corsair crystal 280x RGB as case with a X570 MATX.
But, I found out that there are not so many X570 MATX/ITX on the market, at the moment. The few ones that could be interesting for me (like the ASRock X570M Pro 4) as been told to have some thermal and/or performance issue.
Plus, while looking for more info, I found some Reddit's users describing the 280X case as "a trap".

I am starting to questioning my choices. I ask your help: should I keep looking and/or waiting for new products? Or should I change my plans?

Thank you.

Mr. Friendly

a big thing about cooling is ensuring you have cooling...so the 280x may not have sufficient airflow with the fans it has out of box, meaning you just need to add a few more.

as for the Asrock motherboard, I would look up multiple reviews and see how many of them say it has thermal issues. they're likely talking about the VRM's getting warm/hot during overclock or full load on all-cores.

Eric Storm

a big thing about cooling is ensuring you have cooling...so the 280x may not have sufficient airflow with the fans it has out of box, meaning you just need to add a few more.

as for the Asrock motherboard, I would look up multiple reviews and see how many of them say it has thermal issues. they're likely talking about the VRM's getting warm/hot during overclock or full load on all-cores.
Hi!

Regarding the case, I was planning to buy at least other two fans (2 should come with the case itself). I had not planned how to manage the airflow, but I was positive since the case is larger than your usual ITX/MATX case, and have a separate section for PSU, disks etc.

I will look for more review on the motherboard: maybe I got demoralized too early?

Thanks

Mr. Friendly

I find it's best to look up at least 5 reviews on a product and see what similarities there are in the pros/cons they find and then figure out if you can live with the cons. also remember to take outlier thoughts with a grain of salt as it might just be bias by the reviewer and such.

JD

Staff member
I will look for more review on the motherboard: maybe I got demoralized too early?
Yeah, I find reading reviews can make things worse sometimes. You have to remember, reviews are purposefully being critical, things you might not have ever noticed or thought of. I think that ASRock is pretty much the only choice for mATX X570 currently? You could drop down to a B450/X470 board instead though.

And if you are going by user reviews... generally people only post negative comments when things don't work. Usually when it all works well, people aren't inclined to post about it.

I think you'll be fine with those choices, but if you are wanting a more flashy/bling build, that ASRock board is not it.

ilya

The question is why do you need x570? You aren't getting much for the cost and every x570 board is going to be prone to thermal issues, you are much better off with something like a b450 board if you want to go SFF.

Mr. Friendly

I agree with ilya, the only reason to buy an X570 is if you're going to be doing 4K or 8K video editing as the only products on the market that can take advantage of PCIe 4.0's extra bandwidth are PCIe NVMe SSD's. day to day use and gaming barely touch what PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD's provide. really, it's just AMD getting digs and boasting rights on Intel. it's also going to be a short lived standard as PCIe 5.0 is coming out in 2 years.

so consider looking at a more mature X470 or B450 motherboard. there are a lot more options to boot!

bassnut

Depends on the cpu, me personally I would not run a 3900X even st stock on a B350 board even a 3700X if overclocked would be out of my comfort zone.

Outside of Asrock and Gigabyte we are waiting for small form factor boards. If you can find a X470 Asus board, it should work for most situations you can think of. Other then that wait till Asus finally releases their small boards or go ATX.

The Gigabyte itx board has done well for Womack over on overclockers maybe take a look at that.

Eric Storm

I find it's best to look up at least 5 reviews on a product and see what similarities there are in the pros/cons they find and then figure out if you can live with the cons. also remember to take outlier thoughts with a grain of salt as it might just be bias by the reviewer and such.
I am digging for recent review, but it seems that MATX boards is not an hot topic. But so far I can say you were right: most of them are talking about VRM.

Eric Storm

I think you'll be fine with those choices, but if you are wanting a more flashy/bling build, that ASRock board is not it.
You mean, like an RGB board? It's not in my plans: I don't even put liquid cooling in it.
Thank you for your post =)

Error 403 Daily Limit Exceeded. The quota will be reset at midnight Pacific Time (PT). You may monitor your quota usage and adjust limits in the API Console: https://console.developers.google.com/apis/api/youtube.googleapis.com/quotas?project=345236864347 : dailyLimitExceeded

Latest posts

Twitter