What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

new build won't boot up! help.

dbear

Just put together a new rig that came in the mail today and sadly disappointed that I can't get it to work. Everything seems to power on properly except nothing boots up on screen. Motherboard lights are on, case fans on, CD-rom can open as well. I don't hear any beeps either. Seems like the cpu is not working or maybe I mixed up some cables and stuff, but i'll triple check. This is my first time putting together a rig so I already predicted there will be problems :) should of gone with a service fee.

Anyone have any ideas. I might take this to a shop and see what they can do. I also hope nothing was busted in the mail (which I don't think).

Cooler Master Haf 932
Intel i7 930
Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus heatsink
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R motherboard
6 gigs of corsair dominator ram
ati XFX 5850 radeon Vid Card
antec power supply 650 watts neopower

Stock

hmm did you connect your monitor properly? check to see if that's the problem since everything else seems to be in order :)

chrisk

Folding Captain
hmm did you connect your monitor properly? check to see if that's the problem since everything else seems to be in order :)
1. Double-check all cables, including the power (should be two cables connected to your mobo). Also check the video cables, and that any required power for your video card is also connected.

2. Unplug everything except 1 stick of ram, mobo, psu, cpu, and video card and try to boot. If it does, add more ram, etc until it does not boot to narrow it down. If it does not boot, then try anlother stick of ram.

3. Take the mobo out of the case, and place it on a box. Plug in 1 stick of ram, mobo, psu, cpu, and video card and try to boot. Repeat step 2.

4. If still no go, take the cpu out and take a close look at the pins on the mobo socket and check for bent ones. If not, re-seat cpu and try again with mobo out of case.

5. After that, try swapping parts if you can. If you do not have parts to swap, then take er to a shop that has parts to swap.

dbear

You guys are awesome! When you mentioned that 2 cables should be connected to your mobo i realized only one was. I was scrambling around to find another cable in the new motherboard box and found an unattended cable from my PSU. I just combined and connected it to the empty slot i found on mobo. Powered it up and finally saw some bios setup stuff on screen!

Although I have one other concern. My new XFX radeon 5850 has 2 6-pin PCI express slots. I noticed my powersupply (antec 650 watts newpower) only has 1 6-pin cable that can connect to it. Then i read the manual and saw a diagram that recommended me to get a high performance PS with 2 6-pin connectors? THEN! i look in the box and find 2 6-pin molex connectors that I could use, which doesn't make sense if the diagram only wants me to connect it directly to it. So i'm a little confused. Right now, everything seem to be powering up fine. The setup i have now is having the one PCI-E cable connected to the vid card and then i used one of the molex pin from the new vid card and connected that to vid card through the case fans and then power supply.

Do you guys think this will be a problem like a bad power connection? Thanks again!

grimx133

You're better off using an actual pci-e connector, rather than an adapter. The adapter used two 4 pin molexes, which gives you only 2 +12's. there's three of those yellows on a six pin. Look for an 8 pin from you psu, I'd guess there's a 6+2 lurking about, you slide off the two pin portion, there's your second six.

If it's the TP-650, you have four pci-e, two 6 and 2 eight. Regardless, a modern 650 will have more than one.

dbear

Thanks Grim for clearing that up for me. I have the HAF 932 case and with my Antec PSU connected, it was really hard using the cables provided to connect my hard drives and cdrom. Not to mention, with only 1 PCI-E cable to the vid card. I went down to Canada Computers and picked up a Corsair HX 750 watt PSU and must say it is awesome. All the cables were there and it was so easy to connect everything together. Not entirely happy spending more money for a new build, but everything seems to be functioning perfectly. Thanks guys for help!

stoanee

It is always good to have spare parts around if you need to troubleshoot. If you don't need them you can sell them here! :thumb:

Twitter