What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Build, won't start

shryke

Ok, I just put together my new computer. All new parts. I went around, checked to make sure everythings plugged in and such.

I plug it in and flick the power supply on.
The computer starts up.
And then 2 seconds later shuts itself off.

- the fans are all going, I've checked that
- the motherboard is getting power, the LED the tells you "Hey, I'm plugged in" is lighting up

I have no idea what's wrong. Any ideas?

biff

It could be a buggered PSU or it's shutting itself down on over current. Try removing all but the necessary hardware and see if it does the same thing. Can you give us the system specs? also can you try the psu on another system to make sure it's ok?

Dashock

Hello Shryke welcome to forum it would help if we know what kind of parts you have in your system from your power supply to your hard drives everything etc.

Second often times when that happens to me its of two things either your hard drives are not properly plugged in check all the connections or you have not plugged in the power to your video card. If its none of the above let me know but without information on all of your hardware its hard to say.

shryke

Q9550 Quad Core
Asus x48 Motherboard
Radeon 4870 x2
Corsair 750W PSU
4 Gigs Mushkin DDR3
Seagate HDD 1TB SATA
2xDVD Drives (both IDE)
X-Fi sound card

Dashock

both the 24 pin and the 4-8 pins on the motherboard are connected? take of both ide drives of and see if it will boot. All the power connections to the video card are hooked up?

If its noot too much trouble taking pictures of your rig would help showing all the connections maybe we can notice something off.

P.S are the ram set up on the 1st and 3rd slots??? Im guessing you have a 2*2gb kit?

Last edited:

Tazer-[X]

Mine used to do that the first time I powered up. I checked all the rams ,a nd made sure I pressed the sticks ends FIRLMLY and restarted. it did.
So, do a tear down and rebuild to ease your mind it isnt a falutly connection somewhere

shryke

both the 24 pin and the 4-8 pins on the motherboard are connected? take of both ide drives of and see if it will boot. All the power connections to the video card are hooked up?

If its noot too much trouble taking pictures of your rig would help showing all the connections maybe we can notice something off.

P.S are the ram set up on the 1st and 3rd slots??? Im guessing you have a 2*2gb kit?

I've been pushing at the 8 pin thingy to make sure it's plugged in good. It's in a nasty spot to get to, but I seem to have it in as far as it'll go

I took both IDE drives, and even the SATA drive off the power thing, and it still does the same.

Hmm, I could check the memory though. I put it in the 2 black slots, cause there was a little insert suggesting that, but I'll take another look at the manual.

And I doubt a picture would help. There's quite a bit of cabling running around in there.

biff

I've seen standoffs for the mobo cause issues after an upgrade. Sometimes new boards don't use all the holes and one that was left in where there shouldn't be one could be shorting some traces. Just a thought. Also a screw that somehow found it's way under the mobo could cause issues too.

Latest posts