What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Computer build flow - any AMD specific stuff I should know

Dwayne

So, I decided to do an AMD build. Now, I don't think I have built an AMD CPU system before I am just going to post something here looking for input for things I may overlook.

Here is the order I typically do things on a build. I am sticking in the AMD stuff where I would do the Intel stuff. Am I missing something, or should I do something in a different order?

Pre-Build - Make a new Windows install USB Stick. Download the latest BIOS for the MB and put it on that stick.

1. Hardware building / install - self explanatory

2. Boot into BIOS and set to default. Flash BIOS from the USB stick. After rebooting back into BIOS set to default, again, and check the BIOS pages ensuring things are showing up properly, especially the SSDs.

3. Reboot and let the windows installer do its thing. No internet connection at this point.

4. Let windows finish installing. Connect internet. Do Windows updates and reboot and keep doing windows update until it says it is up to date. Install Chrome.

5. Boot to BIOS and set memory XMP/DOCP. Check through settings again. Restart

6. Install video drivers. Restart.

7. Go to MB website and download the Chipset drivers, on board sound and other specific drivers. Install them. Restart.

8. Install AMD specific software stuff here? Ryzen Master, the community created tools (CTR, Memory Tuner), etc?

9. Install more software, HWInfo, CPU-Z, GPU-Z, Valley, Steam, Office, etc

Anything I overlooked? After I get the software installed I'll worry about playing with the tools, overclocking, benchmarks, and all that fun.

Sagath

Staff member
Folding Team
Seems about right. Only difference I do is install chipset drivers before graphics drivers, but its probably a 6 or 1/2 dozen thing.

Also, generally I have my network plugged in nowadays and just let windows run the updates immediately on install. Saves a step.

JD

Staff member
If you already have Windows installed, you can technically just use it. Windows 10 will go through a sort of mini-sysprep when you do major hardware changes which usually corrects any major driver issues.

You should be able to pull the latest copy of Windows 10 20H2 at this point, so there shouldn't be much updating to do if you do a clean install.

I would grab AMD chipset drivers from AMD directly: https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570. And I prefer these stripped down Realtek drivers: https://github.com/pal1000/Realtek-UAD-generic for audio (assuming Realtek audio).

And yes, as Sagath mentioned, if you install Windows while connected to the Internet, chances are it will pull a semi-recent DCH graphics driver for you (and likely all the other drivers).

Izerous

Folding Team
4. Let windows finish installing. Connect internet. Do Windows updates and reboot and keep doing windows update until it says it is up to date. Install Chrome.

9. Install more software, HWInfo, CPU-Z, GPU-Z, Valley, Steam, Office, etc
One suggestion at step 4/9 use Ninite to grab chrome and a bunch of your initial software, chrome, notepad++, 7zip and a few other quick and easy to grab items. Makes new installs really nice. Things like paint.net (also listed on ninite) are even useful just over default paint if you need to scribble on things.

You can even make the installer in advance and copy it over via USB so you don't ever have to open edge :)

Dwayne

Thanks for all the feedback. Some great ideas and suggestions. I'll be doing some more research as the parts are straggling in but it never hurts to lean on the experience and knowledge of the folks here. Learn from other's mistakes, and successes!

@Skippman - Good tip. I generally do read the manual, and I believe that a lot of companies are silk screening RAM placement information right on the MB now, but a reminder never hurts!

@Izerous - I have used Ninite before, a great tool for builders of multiple systems, and handy even if you build a machine every few years.

sswilson

Staff member
Windows will eventually have a package manager integrated too: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandline/windows-package-manager-preview/

I think it was your autounattend script I've got saved to allow me to skip over the requirement to use a MS account for installations. Saves me a ton of time, and aggravation. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts