What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New computer, new crashes

Asspigeon

Just finished building my new computer with 64 bit vista (I know, I know). It is crashing all over the place and I can't figure out why. My CPU temps never go above 38, my video card hovers around 66 and my system temp is reading in the mid 50s. Crashes happen sporadically (gaming, 3dmark, prime95, running antivirus, etc). I have the latest 64 bit drivers for all of my hardware and the install is brand new! Is Vista to blame here or is something else amiss?

Q6600
2048 DDR2-800
BFG 8800GTX
Seagate 500GB 7200.10
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R (rev. 1)
Creative Xtreme Audio
Corsair 620W
Stacker 832

Everything is at stock settings.

Cptn Vortex

Have you tried running Memtest? Maybe your RAM is to blame? Are your Voltage settings alright? More than likely you will have to run that RAM at 2.1V to be stable at 800MHZ.

chibi_man

Ram is one but least of your worries... I have Windows XP PRO 64-bit Edition. Runs like a dream. There are lots of software conflicts you can run into however XP will seperate 32 and 64 bit softwares really nicely. It's the programs that require 32 bit are the ones I normally have trouble with.

I believe you can put your blame ENTIRELY on vista. Yes you can run memtest and find a possible error or even tweak your bios to a more stable operation. But Vista just requires to much out of computers. Even there home edition destroys a computer.
I remember trying to get a slide show to work for a wedding. I COULDN'T EVEN GET THAT TO RUN!!!! madness i say...MADNESS

I can reason with a simple fact that you would not want to buy XP and get rid of Vista. Spending more money is hard enough. So all I can suggest is tweak that new computer to it's most efficient point. Set vista up to it's lowest settings. and try real hard not to push the processor to much.

Sorry if thats not of much help. It's just my experiences.

Asspigeon

Is it possible to for overheating cause a BSOD? Also, do any of those temps look high to anyone?

Asspigeon

I replaced the ram with different sticks and I am still getting the same problem. The BSOD flashes by too quickly for me to read the error. I will try taking out my soundcard.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Bump volts to CPU and Ram (1.35V and 2.1V respectively) - this will remove the instability due to undervolting.

Test Ram using Memtest86+, 100% coverage - one error can cause a BSOD.

If above test is successful, run Coretemp2 and Orthos (blend) and monitor those load temps for 2 hours - overheating can cause BSODs too.

BTW, are you using the stock Intel cooler on that Quad?

If both tests are successful, the only issue left is a driver incompatibility with Vista 64bits. I run both Vista versions (2x 32 bits and 2x 64 bits) and have no problems running any hardware / software.

John

Asspigeon

Well I took out the sound card and left the side panel off and managed to finish a 2~3 hour run of Prime95 in a hot room. System temp was showing 55c at the end (reported from Gigabyte EasyTune5).

Edit: I am using a Tuniq Tower for cooling on the Q6600

Twitter