What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New computer, new crashes

enaberif

Well I took out the sound card and left the side panel off and managed to finish a 2~3 hour run of Prime95 in a hot room. System temp was showing 55c at the end (reported from Gigabyte EasyTune5).

Edit: I am using a Tuniq Tower for cooling on the Q6600

You might want to make sure its seated properly

Asspigeon

The 55c was the system temp, my core temps never went about 38c. Assuming the report from EasyTune5 is to be believed.

3.0charlie

3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
Use Coretemp2 - ditch Easytune5. Love the Gigabytes mobos (I own 2), but Easytune never worked for me.
You managed to run with no errors without the sound card? Try it again with the card installed and check for instability. If so, there's your culprit - driver incompatibility.

john

Asspigeon

OK well I'm fairly sure that my video card is causing my mobo to overheat so I ordered some yate loon fans to install in the side of my case.

Asspigeon

UPDATE:

The fans aren't really helping, as soon as the 8800 GTX spins up, my computer goes down. Even with the door off and a LARGE desk fan pointing directly at my mobo I still manage to get system temps in the high 40s during gaming (no crashes though). I ordered 3 more fans from DirectCanada but am running out of space to put them. Just let this be a warning to those looking to purchase 8800s in the near future, make sure you get a quality mobo with a BEEFY cooling setup because the 8800 will melt it otherwise.

The components causing all the trouble are:

GA-P35-DS3R
BFG 8800GTX OC (600/900)
CM Stacker 832
Q6600 + Tuniq Tower

I know the computer is totally stable if the 8800 isn't used. I managed a 12 hour Prime95 burn in with the Q6600 @ 3240mhz with no problems (without the desk fan :thumb:). I'm not really sure what component to blame in this situation, I just know that I am not happy.

Latest posts