What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New Computer

darksideleader

What do you think?

CPU:Canada Computers - CPU > Desktop AMD Processors : AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (125W) Dual-Core Socket AM2, 3.0GHz, 1MB x2 L2 Cache, 2000MHz HT, 90nm (ADX6000CZBOX).
Thinking about getting 6000+ since its under $200 now. Or should I get a Brisbane and overclock it 3ghz.

Case:Ultra Blue MicroFly Aluminum Micro ATX Tower Case with Front USB, FireWire and Audio Ports and Ultra V-Series 400-Watt Power Supply MFBL400 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca
Small little cube seems nice don't you think?

Hard Drive:Canada Computers - Hard Drives > S-ATA Drives : Western Digital (WD3200AAKS) Caviar 320GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Buffer (OEM).

Ram:Canada Computers - Memory > DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz + : OCZ (OCZ2P800R22GK) DDR2 PC2-6400 800MHz Platinum XTC Revision 2 2GB (2x1024MB) Dual Channel Kit.
Imma get 4gigs of those.

Motherboard:Canada Computers - Motherboards > Socket AM2 : Sapphire PE-AM2RS690MH Pure Element AMD Socket AM2 690G Chipset ATI Radeon X1250 Dual-Channel DDR2 800/667/533 Mhz 8-Channel Audio 4x SATAII Micro ATX.
or
Biostar Tforce TA690GAM2 Matx AM2 DDR2 Amd 690G 1PCI-E16 2PCI SATA2 Raid Gbe Hdmi Vga Motherboard - DirectCanada

Any input which one to get? I'd prefer Sapphire cuz i can pick it up at the store instead of ordering online but will the biostar one prove better performance?

Also i didn't put a videocard cuz i'd be using the x1250 intergrated video on the motherboard. I'm planning to plug it into the HDMI slot in my HDTV. Since HDMI won't be able to go past 1024, will the x1250 be able to play games decently or should i get a x2900XT with or x2600XT with a HDMI slot and those will have enough power?

Jmac

Integrated graphics are not for gaming ... The Biostar is a pretty decent board for under $100 ...

chrisb2e9

For your CPU I would wait till the 22nd when the Q6600 and the E6850 go down to $266.
I know its more than the 200 for your AMD but they are both a lot better.

CMetaphor

Quadfather
Grrrr. to chris and all other intel fanboys, STOP SUGGESTING INTEL BUILDS!!! He's made his choice, why not let him think for himself? Im really starting to HATE all the ppl that suggest intel builds when asking for opinions about amd builds. LEAVE IT!!!

Patriote

Grrrr. to chris and all other intel fanboys, STOP SUGGESTING INTEL BUILDS!!! He's made his choice, why not let him think for himself? Im really starting to HATE all the ppl that suggest intel builds when asking for opinions about amd builds. LEAVE IT!!!

Of course it pisses you off. You aren't on the right side yourself. Come join the dark side my friend! The dark side is sio much more powerful!

I agree with chrisb2e9. Let alone the AMD especially if your building a Gaming system.

pscout

Fallen Folder
Those 266 prices are usd ... so likely $300 plus cdn vs 200 for the amd.

Unless you are going to fold/seti on the rig, or do a lot of video encoding, i doubt intel/amd matters much at high clocks anyway and if it does, is it worth $100 more? Presumably the video is more important for gaming/video.

If you are only browsing, then a n-2 rig will do fine anyway.
I build for folding so the intel floating point, large cache and quad core works best for me.

But since this is an AMD forum, I am not sure why there should be a debate about cpu vendor here anyway.

I am no amd guru here, but i am wondering if oc'ing a brisbane to get the same clocks as the 6000 will be any better overall? Presumably oc'ing sacrifices some stability, and usually ends up creating similar heat/power issues ... but I am an amd dummy so i am sure someone else here can comment better on this question. Some of my folding buddies that run amd's debate this question about what their next build should be for a dedicated folding rig.

Last edited:

Patriote

Those 266 prices are usd ... so likely $300 plus cdn vs 200 for the amd.

Unless you are going to fold/seti on the rig, or do a lot of video encoding, i doubt intel/amd matters much at high clocks anyway and if it does, is it worth $100 more? Presumably the video is more important for gaming/video.

If you are only browsing, then a n-2 rig will do fine anyway.
I build for folding so the intel floating point, large cache and quad core works best for me.

But since this is an AMD forum, I am not sure why there should be a debate about cpu vendor here anyway.

I am no amd guru here, but i am wondering if oc'ing a brisbane to get the same clocks as the 6000 will be any better overall? Presumably oc'ing sacrifices some stability, and usually ends up creating similar heat/power issues ... but I am an amd dummy so i am sure someone else here can comment better on this question. Some of my folding buddies that run amd's debate this question about what their next build should be for a dedicated folding rig.

266.00 USD

=

278.702 CAD

Maybe we're debating about vendors to prevent the guy to make a mistake buying the wrong stuff ? :ph34r:

b1lk1

Fanboys cannot stop themselves from promoting things even when it isn't asked for. Phenom is gonna make all these Intel fanboys wet their panties anyways.

Il Duce

I'd avoid tiny cases since in this day and age these faster machines use more power and create more heat than the past. Unless you're not bothered by swiss cheesing your case, lots of heat pipes, and adding more fans.

Latest posts