New CRTC wireless rules demand 2-year contract cap, unlocked phones - Technology & Science - CBC News
The new code will allow consumers to:
- Terminate their wireless contracts after two years without cancellation fees, even if they have signed on for a longer term.
- Cap extra data charges at $50 a month and international data roaming charges at $100 a month to prevent bill shock.
- Have their cellphones unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if they paid for the device in full.
- Return their cellphones, within 15 days and specific usage limits, if they are unhappy with their service.
- Accept or decline changes to the key terms of a fixed-term contract (i.e., two-year), and receive a contract that is easy to read and understand.