What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New EKWB pressure/leak tester

sswilson

Staff member
I saw this yesterday and wondered if anybody was going to bring it up... :)

It got me wondering about the pros/cons of using pressure for this purpose... we used vacuum when testing torpedo components for leaks, I wonder if the only real difference between using pressure vice vacuum would the the possibility of collapsing your tubing under vacuum?

Lysrin

I'll bring it up!

I think you could have issues either way. Too much pressure resulting in seal damage; vacuum, as you said. That is why I thought it was a nice touch that they included a "safe zone" marking on the gauge.

clshades

A 15psi test would be more than enough. This is the standard for testing gas pipe. Does anyone know what the water pressure typically is when water is in the loop?
If anyone out there wants to try all you'd need is a 30 psi gauge.

Bartacus

I've never seen the need for these things. Once you have a leak or three, you learn what to check for. Leaks are rare once you get the hang of it, and unless you have something like a defective rotary fitting, you rarely see leaks unless you goof up (ie not tightening up a fitting properly, etc). Tools like this appeal to new water coolers, since it provides that security blanket, but leaks aren't a serious issue in water cooling, at least not for me.

Entz

Indeed, I haven't had many issues in what seems like forever. I don't use fancy coolant anymore (NEVER EVER EVER again) so a little leaking is not an issue and fixed with testing. But I also have a 120v to Molex adapter that I got from DazMode ages ago and never run the machine till I am 100% sure.

Many moons ago (think decade) I did puncture a radiator though due to the horrible manufacturer tolerances at the time and it may have been nice to find that out before doing a leak test and creating a sprinkler, but it didn't harm anything (Distilled water :love:).

Twitter