What's new
  • Please do not post any links until you have 3 posts as they will automatically be rejected to prevent SPAM. Many words are also blocked due to being used in SPAM Messages. Thanks!

New gaming build for my son

MARSTG

I am really against building systems with new parts, for kids, I am always down for refurbishing old solid workstations, for example, with this 500 cad Dell Precision T5810 you have a 12c/24t CPU, 32 GB RAM, a solid base, just make sure it comes with the 685W PSU. I have a similar one with a 2070Super and it's rock solid. Slap a used 1080ti and the kid will be super happy.

great_big_abyss

He's not a kid - he's 21 with a fulltime job and his own money. He just doesn't know much about PC's, other than he likes playing games, and spends a lot of time on his PC. And he's got a step-dad who happens to like researching and building PC's.

I cancelled the 6700XT in the order from Memory Express. A used 3060Ti popped up in the BST for $525 shipped that I much prefer.

Shadowmeph

Holy Cwap!!!! What's up with AM4 boards? The pricing is ridiculous.

I thought your quoted price looked a bit high for what's essentially a basic board, but no, MBs are just silly expensive. If I were you, I'd hold off for a sale to come up on a motherboard.
I know what you mean my board cost way too much.

clshades

He's not a kid - he's 21 with a fulltime job and his own money. He just doesn't know much about PC's, other than he likes playing games, and spends a lot of time on his PC. And he's got a step-dad who happens to like researching and building PC's.

I cancelled the 6700XT in the order from Memory Express. A used 3060Ti popped up in the BST for $525 shipped that I much prefer.

I like building PC's too. 😁

great_big_abyss

Ordered a Vetroo V5 CPU cooler to replace the stock Intel Heatsink. Money saved from the used 3060Ti went towards this.

great_big_abyss

Heyyyy, most of the Build parts came in - at least, the parts from Memory Express and the cooler from Amazon. Just waiting on the video card now, which is looking like a mid-next-week delivery.

At least I'll be able to build most of the PC this Sunday, and get windows installed, relevant files transferred over, etc.

great_big_abyss

Here's a question: What do I do with his old computer? Technically, it will be an almost complete rig - FX8350, M5A97 Mobo, AIO cooler, 8GB of DDR3, an RX570, a few Sata SSD's, and a powersupply.

The case is pretty darn ratty and dirty, and there's no way I'll re-use it, but what can I do with the PC itself? I feel like the motherboard/processor is too old, inefficient, and not powerful enough to use as a PLEX server (based on how my Ryzen 5600X was running hard when transcoding a 4K HDR movie down to 1080P via PLEX the other night). BUT, it would still suffice as a basic home computer...for...somebody.

I could buy a really cheap case for it, and then, what....? What does one do with older e-waste that technically still functions perfectly fine?

Bond007

Here's a question: What do I do with his old computer? Technically, it will be an almost complete rig - FX8350, M5A97 Mobo, AIO cooler, 8GB of DDR3, an RX570, a few Sata SSD's, and a powersupply.

The case is pretty darn ratty and dirty, and there's no way I'll re-use it, but what can I do with the PC itself? I feel like the motherboard/processor is too old, inefficient, and not powerful enough to use as a PLEX server (based on how my Ryzen 5600X was running hard when transcoding a 4K HDR movie down to 1080P via PLEX the other night). BUT, it would still suffice as a basic home computer...for...somebody.

I could buy a really cheap case for it, and then, what....? What does one do with older e-waste that technically still functions perfectly fine?
Personally I would pull the video card and sell it.

The rest of it will be pretty low value, so if you have no use for it, either sell it cheap or give it away.

Latest posts